Working/Stock Dogs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
G'day all

Just wondering if any of you out there work your dogs on stock (cattle, sheep, deer, anything else)? It could be because they are working dogs, or maybe you just take your dogs to sheep herding trials/classes for exercise/fun?

I am looking into getting a kelpie and they are born stock dogs, so would love to learn how to work it on animals. Will definitely be trying to track down herding classes for exercise/fun!

If any of you do, I'd love to hear about it and of course to see pictures!

Cheers guys
Phil

PS if anybody knows of places around Brisbane/Gatton that do that sort of thing, I'd love to hear about them because it would be awesome to learn

I have a Kelpie bitch and they are smart animals. I don't work her on stock but I'm in the process of training her up for a few other things. Don't let it get too bored or you'll be spending alot of time cleaning your yard.

We have a kelpie x an she will round up the remote control cars, the lawn mower, the chickens, whatever moves lol.

They are awesome dogs.

lol. mine was out rounding up the roosters yesterday and today. She has never been trained to do it, but was bringing them up to the house for us. She is indeed a very smart dog, as with all working bred dogs.

The only place I knew about for herding is apparently PADS. I think is what its called, but I'll double check. And they are in Brissie, but not sure where else.

Hi Phil,

Both of my koolies are ex workers, I posted some pics of them on here but they werent working in the pics. Its quite easy to teach them. I started them off as puppies on chooks/ducks with the broom. You can get dvd's on training/working from pups. Teach them the basics of herding, moving the herd, voice/hand commands and control. Its great fun and excellent stimulation for their minds.

Good luck with your dog when you get him/her!
Ali.

Best paddock sheep dog I ever had was a kelpie bitch. Lovely calm nature and never barked. Perfect for bringing up the tail.
My best yard dog was a noisy Irish Setter!!! He pushed sheep up in the race and was able to bluff stubborn ewes. He learnt from my kelpie.
Getting a good working dog is good breeding(instinct), luck and lots of work. Most dogs end up being useless biscuit eaters

Amy.. PADS you say.. very intriguing! And in Brisbane too!

Thanks for the reply guys! I'm very keen to try him out on a bit of herd work when I get him - he won't ever end up being a full on working dog, but just like a 'herding preschool' to keep him and I occupied!

as well as herding there is agility and flyball. I only do flyball at the moment, as my dog is too tennis ball obsessed to concentrate on anything else!! But it lots of fun and it (kind of) tires them out. Running 104 feet in 5 seconds for 6 hours can do that to you!!
I will double check on Tuesday night if it is PADS that does it, and then let you know. cuz I did hear it from someone at flyball, but I couldn't find anything online... WEIRD!

My Parents Own & Run a working Cattle Farm
they train all there own Dog's from Blue's to Red's and they have had one or two Kelpie's
they have always had a very hard but fair attitude to training the dogs which starts very early from when there pups. once they get them doing the basic commands they find tying them to a more experienced dog and getting them running along side the older dog they seem to pick up the commands & learn the tequinc that is required they already have a great instinct. if you want to train a dog you might be able to fine someone on a farm that can help you

I had a Kelpie bitch called KC when I had the dairy. She saved me endless hours chasing stock & on one occasion when I had dislocated my knee, she went out with my uncle to fetch the cows. He kept sending her out to the far paddock for a straggler & she kept coming back empty handed. He gave up, told her she was a useless article & made the trek himself. He came back red-faced & admitted he had been sending her out after a bush, lol! Smartest dog I have ever had the pleasure to share life with but she didn't adapt to a house situation when we sold up. Not that she caused any trouble, she just seemed to lose her sparkle, if you can understand what I mean. Training her involved taking her out with me every day, teaching her basic obedience & allowing her natural instincts to guide her. It is in them, they can't help it. Anything that can be herded will be. She herded sheep, cattle, goats, chooks, ducks & even tried keeping the kittens together, lol. ( Fought a losing battle, lmao. They ganged up on her & ambushed her numerous times.) I have some pics of her & her 2 sons somewhere. I'll see if I can hunt them out.

That'd be great kakariki.
I don't live on a farm or smallholding, nor do I have regular access to one (apart from uni but they don't let us unleash dogs on the stock haha) so unfortunately I don't have the option to teach him gradually on my own animals.. which is why I'm looking for a club or something to have little lessons or whatever every week/fornight/whatever.

Once I graduate we can roam together all we like, but until then I will need a lot of stuff to keep him amused!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back