Worming

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What sort of dogs do you have Mick.
I went to my vet to get Ivomect to do the herps. He said he would give it to me for free if I researched its use in reptiles first as he had no information available. He did though have first hand knowledge that it kills some breeds of dog including collies.

THIS IS WHY ALL MEDICATION SHOULD BE ADMINISTERED IN CONJUNCTION WITH ADVICE FROM A HERP VET OR EXPERIENCE KEEPER.
NOT THE GUY WITH A DIAMOND DOWN THE PETSHOP.

Here you go Peter, a couple of snippets from the manufacturers of ivermectins data sheet

Fenbendazole has a much broader margin of safety than ivermectin and should be used first whenever possible. Complications, including mild ataxia to paralysis and death, have been associated with the use of ivermectin.

In turtles, ivermectin toxicity evident as paresis was seen at doses as low as 0.025 mg/kg; therefore, ivermectin is not recommended for use in turtles

THIS IS WHY ALL MEDICATION SHOULD BE ADMINISTERED IN CONJUNCTION WITH ADVICE FROM A HERP VET OR EXPERIENCE KEEPER.
NOT THE GUY WITH A DIAMOND DOWN THE PETSHOP.

Point taken thankyou.

For everyones info...the excess tablet was passed with the poo so all seems to be ok. Thanks all for your info.

Panacur is this readily available over the counter at vets
Or appointment required ? this a Q. for those that use this product

As I was going to worm all my reptiles
beardiies & snakes

Doseage rates would be recommended by vet ! ?

wait theres more.
Barney. Why not ask the vet. BUT yes it is readily available over the counter so to speak.

DRONTAL is the name of the dog and cat all wormer and it does contain ivermectin....which is a wormer for livestock mainly but used in small doses for dags and cats

You have to be careful Bryony.
Dags and any type of drug can be a real headache.

lol
sorry, typo

but yes dags are a real headache or very entertaining!

Oh by the way
BRAND NAME: DRONCIT

AVAILABLE AS
INJECTABLE &
23 mg
TABLETS FOR CATS
AND
34 mg
TABLETS FOR DOGS

HOW THIS MEDICATION IS USED

Praziquantel is primarily used against parasites known as "Cestodes" (tapeworms). The common tapeworm of dogs & cats, Dipyllidium caninum, is the usual target though Praziquantel is also effective against less common types of tapeworms such as Taenia species and the more dangerous Mesocestoides species. Praziquantel is also effective against flukes.

A single treatment of Praziquantel should clear a Dipyllidium caninum infection though a second treatment is sometimes recommended if it is felt that immediate reinfection is likely. Immediate reinfection might take place if a heavy uncontrolled flea problem is present in the pet's environment.

HOW THIS MEDICATION WORKS

Praziquantel acts by inciting damage to the parasite's skin internally such that the parasite disintegrates and is removed by the host's immune system. Dead worms are not passed by the host.

SIDE EFFECTS

Injectable Praziquantel tends to sting at the site of administration more than most injections and it is not unusual for a pet to scratch at the site or cry immediately following injection.

The oral form of Praziquantel is bitter tasting and approximately 5% of patient's taking it experience nausea.

It has been reported that approximately one cat in ten will experience weakness, salivation, or nausea after a tapeworm injection with Praziquantel, but we have seen such reactions far less frequently. This is generally of minor significance and resolves on its own.

CAUTIONS & CONCERNS

Praziquantel is felt to be safe for use in pregnant patients.

Fasting is not necessary prior to Praziquantel use and Praziquantel can be given with or without food.

Well as far as i can see if you have captive bred animals and are feeding them either frozen/thawed rodents or the same fed by yourself so you know yourself there will be no problemms with worms there should be no need whatsoever to woprm your reptiles.Although there are man wild caught ani9mals being sold in this hobby and if you are suspect that you're sanke may have worms i would recommenend panacur!

Not me, although i've seen it used and the end results...was very messy,i have no idea if it completely ridded the animqals of worms but certainly got rid of heaps!By rights you just shouldn't have to worry about worms etc if you have bought or aquired captive bred animals!

You are right Browns. But even captive bred rodents can get worms, and that's why we treat ours every couple of months, just to be sure. We use the worm medication in their water supply(and sorry, I forgot we've changed over to the water soluble Ivermectin) for 16 days. Then we make sure there is a witholding period of 3 to 6 days prior to harvesting. Cheers

We use Flagyl for worming out all our breeding rats and mice. Gets rid of tapeworm too.

and sorry, I forgot we've changed over to the water soluble Ivermectin

I guess by your second post you're aware that Flagyl is atually an antibiotic?

Barney, Yes i have used Panacur 25 and 50. I administer it orally in solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back