Worms or Feceas? Experienced keepers opinions only please.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allies_snakes

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Anyone seen or experienced this before?? I have had this snake seen to by my vet 4 months ago (rescue snake - 4.5yr old spotted python) for what I thought was some damage to his Cloacal(looked like a small bit of his insides were starting to come out and were all dry & crusty). The vet thought the same. We have been soaking him in warm water as it would get all crusty and poo was sticking to it.

This morning I was assisting him slough, as he has had a history of reocurring RI (is doing quite well and for the last 2 winters has not reocurred, but he still has trouble sloughing). I have owned him for 3 years now.

Typically he does not eat from April till October. His last feed was April 29th & appeared to be constipated. In July, revisited the vet to have the feaces pressed/massaged out. 2-3 hair balls, flesh & bone matter came out & something long (tendon looking flesh 1inch long) it was similar to these 2 things. The vet said it was all mouse, so I was satisfied that she didnt think otherwise (worms).

However, he was soaking in the tub this morning. I assisted the slough and got it all the way off down to his Cloacal. As I passed my hands over it he ejected one of these (see pics) then sucked it back in. With tweezers I gently nipped a bit of it and it started to come out, then he ejected it again and it fully came out. It was situated to one side of his opening, then I did the same with the other side and the same thing happened & came out. In the pic, the hooked end was the bits that have been sticking out of his Cloacal. It was dry and crusty looking & have been like that since July.

Booked to see Debbie Monks (who has treated him from day dot) to see what she thinks. I have the specimiens & photos as below to show her. Any information would be interesting to hear. I instantly thought they were worms?? Obviously he will be getting treated for worms if this is the case.

Attachments

• 080.jpg
    080.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 132
  • Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 185
Um, they look like sperm plugs to me!

They usually come out with the shed skin, i doubt they are worms.
I am very inexperienced though and haven't even had a snake shed since i have owned them so i could be wrong lol.

Nevermind, not an 'experienced keeper' lol

If you want to be sure, get the vet to do a feacal float to check for eggs. If they can identify the eggs you may know what you are dealing with. In most cases worms are in many captive species and pose no threat if the enclosure is kept clean and feaces are removed asap, to reduce the chances of reinfesting the host.
I have monitored several species of geckos in the past with worms and in most occasions they have put on weight and bred with no issues. There are cases of serious infestations but I am yet to see them. I'm happy to say that all of my snakes are worm free and I only have one gecko left that has always had eggs but is the heaviest gecko I have seen and very healthy, so there is no need for treatment.

Nevermind, not an 'experienced keeper' lol

I am not either Jen, i have owned my snakes for under a month :lol: but i am still fairly sure that these are sperm plugs.

ohh well i don't have 30 + years keeping *shugs* if you're very worried, take the samples into the vet and get them to tell you

I have 45 years of experience and I am not sure (the pics aren't clear either) what it is, so I don't comment. :shock:

ohh well i don't have 30 + years keeping *shugs* if you're very worried, take the samples into the vet and get them to tell you

[deleted] Experience means that you have been through something like this, you could have 5 minutes worth of experience but still be able to help out. Asking for experienced opinions helps to cut the wild guesses.

She is going to the vet.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are instances where guessing, assuming and "I think" is not much of a help. It can lead to confusion or worse. It would be great if "some people" on this forum would realise that.

[deleted] Experience means that you have been through something like this, you could have 5 minutes worth of experience but still be able to help out. Asking for experienced opinions helps to cut the wild guesses.

She is going to the vet.

No need for name calling!!!! when people put "Experienced keepers opinions' they generally don't want the opinion of someone who has had more than 5mins experience

Last edited by a moderator:
No need for name calling!!!! when people put "Experienced keepers opinions' they generally don't want the opinion of someone who has had more than 5mins experience

There was about as much need for name calling as there was for your original post.

Words can only hurt you if you try to read them. Don't play their game!
-Zoolander

Last edited:

not meaning to be rude but your post above does'nt quite make sense? do you mean "someone who has had LESS than 5 mins experience"?

It was situated to one side of his opening, then I did the same with the other side and the same thing happened & came out.

taking this statement into account it seems a distinct possibility these are seminal plugs :D

Last edited:
sorry, I'll will be more strident. Yes they are plugs, not worms, and it is a male.

Pft. Less than one thousand posts means you don't get to contribute. Start looking for places to type 'lol' and get your experience levelled up.

Experienced or not they are seminal plugs as others have already said.
45 years and no experience with this? Joking?

Yep, seen vet..they are plugs. Thanks for your opinions. I've only ever owned females & I guess, also, being a dyke, Im so not familiar with males bits n pieces...freaky!..hee.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back