Yeah, another incubator question :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey every one,

I have been looking at various incubators, and at making them ect, but i was advised to get this one:

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog...cubators/-/thermal-hova-bator-incubator1602n/

The total cost would be under $100 (that includes postage)

I know i need a plug converter, but i was wondering if any one else has experience with this model and what they thought about it? Also its accuracy, and whether it is worth the money.

One thing i am not too sure about is whether it will hold enough eggs. I am breeding beardies for the first time this year and have no idea how much space i would need. Do you think this would accommodate one beardies eggs?

Cheers.

I would do a search on google for hovabator reveiws, they get a fairly good overall score from people who have used them.

Hovabators are ok, although not overly big.

However, not only will you need a plug converter but you will need a voltage converter ('step down transformer') as their web site states:

"All electrical components we sell are available ONLY in 110 volt"

There are some US stores selling 220/240v models, but they are not approved for use here. Plenty of people use them but keep in mind they are a electrical hazard. They are not earthed for starters, and if something else goes wrong and burns your house down and they find it caused it, no insurance.

Warranty is a problem - as I found out the hard way, shipping back to the US is not worth it, and buying parts here to fix them is more than it cost, so I have one here with a dodgy element just collecting dust.

i have a hovabator and to be perfectly honest out of all the gadgets we have available to us as herp keepers $400 can make a massive incubator

I am guessing the hovabators have a very basic mercury switching thermostat? Nephurus made a thread a while ago about making a basic fully functional (if not pretty) incubator out of styrene boxes and heat cord. My advice would be to buy the best pulse or dimming thermostat you can afford and follow his basic construction instructions.

yea brother its very basic strophome box basic temp swtich, need thermometer in the box to fix the temps, i only bought one for the quails turner andfound that can be fixed to a home made one lol.

Yeah I know, i did alot of searching for different ways to make them, but being my first breeding try i don't want a simple stuff up to ruin it, I don't trust my handy work!

Yeah I know, i did alot of searching for different ways to make them, but being my first breeding try i don't want a simple stuff up to ruin it, I don't trust my handy work!

lol trust me handy work of a hobovator isn't much better than handy work of a 12 year old, probe themostat headcord and if so desired computer fan would do in a styrofoam box.. thats basically that the hobovator is but a little more low tech compaired to the thermostats we can access

lol trust me handy work of a hobovator isn't much better than handy work of a 12 year old, probe themostat headcord and if so desired computer fan would do in a styrofoam box.. thats basically that the hobovator is but a little more low tech compaired to the thermostats we can access

Wow really? Hmm, I thought they were like viewed upon as perfect in the reptile world! So the search for a bar fridge continues then! The main thing i liked about the hoverbator (apart from the fact that i dont need to do anything) is that you can look into it without having to remove a lid letting all the heat escape.

Thanks for the replies guys!

yea see ya can cut out a peice of the fridge if you want and buy a few thick peices of perspex and pre drill them and fix them to the door, pretty easy to do and that will work exactly the same bud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back