Yearling jungle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl12

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys random question, picked up this yearling jungle who seems to be very defensive. She’s coiled like this ready to strike every time I’m in the room. Her cage is across the room from my bed just for context. She’s only been in her cage since yesterday and has been disturbed abit more then id like due to adding stuff to her enclosure twice and I had to move her cage. I’m assuming this is just stress related but help will be appreciated. I migh cover the front of her cage just so she isn’t constantly seeing me to see if for the time being that will fix it. If anyone has anyone other tips related to carpets I’d appreciate it as I’m new to the world of carpet pythons

Attachments

• C21F1CB4-93D8-4C9C-853E-2D03D7D85D07.jpeg
    C21F1CB4-93D8-4C9C-853E-2D03D7D85D07.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 17
Take what I say with a grain of salt because honestly I know nothing, but a very experienced person on here recently said that jungles aren't really snakes that like to be handled and it appears they are quite snappy/defensive by nature. I'll let someone more experienced chime in though....

Hey guys random question, picked up this yearling jungle who seems to be very defensive. She’s coiled like this ready to strike every time I’m in the room. Her cage is across the room from my bed just for context. She’s only been in her cage since yesterday and has been disturbed abit more then id like due to adding stuff to her enclosure twice and I had to move her cage. I’m assuming this is just stress related but help will be appreciated. I migh cover the front of her cage just so she isn’t constantly seeing me to see if for the time being that will fix it. If anyone has anyone other tips related to carpets I’d appreciate it as I’m new to the world of carpet pythons
Jungle carpets are just snappy by nature use a snake hook Handel regularly and give him some space. After a while he will be less snappy but overall I don't think jungles will ever be perfectly comfortable around people.

Hey Carl, what are you using for heat? And do you have a pic of the whole enclosure?

Take what I say with a grain of salt because honestly I know nothing, but a very experienced person on here recently said that
Hey Carl, what are you using for heat? And do you have a pic of the whole enclosure?
As she was a pretty in unexpected purchase And I haven’t been able to get to the pet shop she is currently just on a 7 watt heat mat set to 30. I’m planning on getting a heat globe later this week to make a proper basking area. As for cage I don’t have any pics that show the cage in it’s current form but for the time being she is on aspen bedding as that’s all I had with me at the time, thinking on going something abit more natural. She has plenty of branches to climb around on and decent size water bowl to soak in. Some random foliage and fake plants thrown in just to give her some privacy aswel.

This is her inclosure setup

Attachments

• CCD522C1-50CD-4FCF-8E99-F8818D44D8E2.jpeg
    CCD522C1-50CD-4FCF-8E99-F8818D44D8E2.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 691BC1FE-01AA-4300-B8CD-C67784907377.jpeg
    691BC1FE-01AA-4300-B8CD-C67784907377.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 18
hey Carl, I can't really tell from the photos but a decent hide is really beneficial (to all captive animals) so she'll have a spot to curl up in the dark and feel safe. Being young and recently uprooted into a completely new place she's probably just stressed and defensive.
I've worked with a few jungles and every single one I've met has been decently aggressive. I think they're naturally more defensive than other carpets and while that's not to say there aren't any sweet ones in my experience the majority are pretty snappy. My jungle I've had for 5 years, when I first got her she was exactly like yours is now (she would spend most of her time in her hide as this is where she felt most safe) - a few years ago I committed to taming her down, I put in the time to handle her every day and after a few months, she was very manageable. As soon as I got busy and couldn't get her out all the time she reverted straight back to her pissy, snappy self. Now she's purely a display animal because I don't think it's fair to handle her when I know it stresses her out.
She's never caused any damage, just a lot of tagging.
To cut to the chase, I'd recommend another hide (preferably an arboreal one, they don't love going to ground level if they can help it), leaving her alone for a few weeks to settle in and to be prepared for the fact that she's just a defensive snake.
she's really pretty, jungles are amazing snakes and I hope she settles soon!

Awesome jungle I have a few of them and honestly can't get enough awe over them but there's not one that I don't have that don't snap from time to time whether they're in shed feel vulnerable or seasonal changes but I still handle regularly just stay with it and you'll get there I found with my julatten who was incredibly feisty I moved her to a smaller enclosure and must feel a lot safer but there's a million different reasons and methods try and see what works for you
You got this 🤜🤛

Attachments

• IMG_20220420_203315.jpg
    IMG_20220420_203315.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back