your two cents on woma sense

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nightowl

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I recently bought my first Tanami Woma pair and they have been a dream to handle so far.

This afternoon I needed a hide for the female Woma's new enclosure so I used a spare 'cardboard box' hide that was in one of the Olive's enclosure. This box did have a scent to it and from the time I placed the Woma near the box she started hissing and struck a couple of times!

So my question is do Woma Pythons get aggravated by the scent of another species of python?

Thanks
Shane

Mine get aggravated by everything!!!!! nasty snappy creatures!!!

womas also enjoy eating other snakes!!! It may of got excited by a possible meal!!!

womas also enjoy eating other snakes!!! It may of got excited by a possible meal!!!

That is what I initially thought because everything was fine until that 'scented' box went in!

The Womas are about 2.5ft long and I assume yearlings (coming up to a year old)?

I have had a number of pairs of woma's from several different localities. I have found some of them to be quite docile, but others extremely agressive, very hungry and endless appetite's. I thought I had a really docile pair of urulu's, but when having them out recently, I was conned by them, where they act all friendly not agro etc, then while coiled or sitting in my hand, suddenly but slowly decide to take a bite and latch on!! lol.
A snake is a snake in my books, and some are lovely gentle animals and others are agressive and bitey. The thing is when you have an animal for a number of years with out even a strike and then one day you get bit by them... It just comes down to them being snakes!

Here is a pic of the guilty party hiding! :lol:

woma348.jpg

Try using another box that couldn't possibly be scented, then use the other out of your olives. see what tickles her fancy.
Nice woma, gotta love em..mine don't get fazed to much, the young one was very uptight when we 1st got him but fine now. Though i haven't tried anything that something else has been in with out cleaning it.

Hey Zac, are you sure its not just hungry, as you said it SLOWLY decided to take a bite & hang on is not the sign of an agro snake but one of a hungry snake or at least one with a good appetite, it does seen to be more frequent with womas, over the years I have had a few of my young SA womas that have been the most placid animals slowly open their mouths around my hand, latch on & attempt to constrict my hand, i think thet are very oportunistic feeders but have found they do grow out of the habit eventually.

Hey Zac, are you sure its not just hungry, as you said it SLOWLY decided to take a bite & hang on is not the sign of an agro snake but one of a hungry snake or at least one with a good appetite, it does seen to be more frequent with womas, over the years I have had a few of my young SA womas that have been the most placid animals slowly open their mouths around my hand, latch on & attempt to constrict my hand, i think thet are very oportunistic feeders but have found they do grow out of the habit eventually.

Maybe the person had been handling another reptile species prior to handling the Woma and it has detected the scent on the handler? Even after washing hands there could be remnants of other animals scent on you?

I initially thought that on the 1st occasion & it can certainly happen, but it was not the case with these, I have seen them bite into & coil around pillow cases if they think food is around, on the other hand I have an adult 7 foot female woma that I can hold & hand feed at the same time & she is so gentle, try that with most other species.

I wouldn't give it another snakes box. They smell it and will be on edge, expecting to come across it. Clean the enclosure and put in "clean' deco

I wouldn't give it another snakes box. They smell it and will be on edge, expecting to come across it. Clean the enclosure and put in "clean' deco

Already have. I was using it as a temporary hide while getting the enclosures sorted out. It was interesting to see the snakes reaction though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back