carpet python not eating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeman221

Reaction score
I need help my carpet python isnt eating I have tryed everything and he's still not eating please help he hasnt been fed in over a month:?

dont stress just yet , how old is it ?how often do you normally feed it?when did it last shed ? and also check the temps are right in the enclosure

well if it wont eat try live food, what is the cage temp.

and also try and freshly kill one and try that. good luck.

Don't feed live.I wish inexperienced people would stop handing out this sort of advice.
A bit more info wouldn't go astray.Has anything changed in the last month or so?
What are the temps in the enclosure?
How old is it?
Any other info you may feel could be relevant?

I have a coastal male about 5 years that has eaten 2 months out of the year been to the herp vet had tests wormed ect..
They cant find anything wrong he went 7 months without eating then started dec n jan and stopped tried different foods so dont stress yet the vet said they can last a while without food just watch he doesnt lose to much weight.
My coastal has stayed placid still love been handled.
So i would be concerned if his temperment changed good luck with your coastal (i would never try live food can cause parasities)

Don't start stressing just yet as a month really is nothing to a snake. Don't feed live, your snake is not on deaths door so it's defiantely not warranted and may cause more problems then it solves at this point. Here is the information people will need if they are to help you at this point:

* What are you temperatures at both the hot end and cool end? We need the max and min for both areas if possible.
* What have you been feeding and how often?
* Is your snake showing signs of starting to shed?
* What methods have you tried to get your snake to eat?
* How old is your snake?
* Have you made changes to your routine, caging or food types?

All this information is important in working out why the snake is not eating. Just don't panic, your snake is in no danger yet.

Don't feed live.I wish inexperienced people would stop handing out this sort of advice.
A bit more info wouldn't go astray.Has anything changed in the last month or so?
What are the temps in the enclosure?
How old is it?
Any other info you may feel could be relevant?

well hes a yearling and his temp is about 26 he shed yesterday and he ate 1 pinky about a week ago it was just spare so i tried it

oh sht that last one didnt make sence

It's getting into the cooler months of the year, he's probably noticed that and is going into low-power mode. He'll eat less and sleep more for a few months.

As already said, he's not eating because he doesn't need to- google brumation to find out what's going on.

Can jungle_jak's mum please keep an eye on his ridiculous posts, and maybe check his snake, too..

Python legs
Here's an explanation
13+first snake= assumes themselves knowledgeable

Last edited:
So this Is the forst of the many my carpet pythons not eating or help my snakes not eating Its coming on winter Its normal reptile behavior depending on the age 1 months is nothing for a snake to go without food plus this time of the year there digestive systems slow down

Given that the snake was in shedding and its cooling down, this sounds normal behaviour for the snake going into a slower metabolism routine..
if you want it to eat more before cooling turn up the heat wait a week then offer a smaller foodtype, if it eats offer another.

go from there.

well hes a yearling and his temp is about 26 he shed yesterday and he ate 1 pinky about a week ago it was just spare so i tried it

1stly 26 is fine for cool end, but you need to have the warm end at around 32. 2ndly a pinky is waaaay to small for a yearling, try something a bit bigger. I have a yearling on medium rats.

As above it's most likely just because the weather is cooling down and the snake was in shedding mode.
I have a 3 - 4 month old MD that wont eat and I was stressed for a bit. But everyone has told me not to worry as even young ones can go a fair while without food.
Temps in the enclosure seem to be about right (33 at warm end, 25 at cool end).

I tried pretty much everything with mine too and nothing has worked. Having said that though. I think it may be because I got sold 'Fuzzie' Mice that turned out to be Pinkie Rats. They can be pretty fussy about what they eat.

Also got told to up the food size. She was on Fuzzie Mice when I got her so I'm going to try some Weanling Mice in about a week and see what happens.

3mth old carpet not eating

I also have a carpet python not eating at all. Tried small dark area & own tank with heat arnd 32/26. Tried many methods of net advice & breeders. I have siblings & they eat pinkies with no probs. With advice frm major reptile owners i have assist feed with gecho tail but feel i have injured his tongue, doesnt flicker anymore. Coming into cq winter will he survive in hybination or shld heating & feeding attempts continue. From hatchling without eating how long can they survive? Born 9.2.12 , own hatchling frm 7yr old breeding pair & only 1 that hasnt eaten.

I also have a carpet python not eating at all. Tried small dark area & own tank with heat arnd 32/26. Tried many methods of net advice & breeders. I have siblings & they eat pinkies with no probs. With advice frm major reptile owners i have assist feed with gecho tail but feel i have injured his tongue, doesnt flicker anymore. Coming into cq winter will he survive in hybination or shld heating & feeding attempts continue. From hatchling without eating how long can they survive? Born 9.2.12 , own hatchling frm 7yr old breeding pair & only 1 that hasnt eaten.
Turn his heat up and don't let him cool over winter. Don't assist feed yet it's only been 3 months I've had them go 7 months without a feed straight out of the egg. If they are not feeding leave a live pinkie in there click clack over night and remove in the morning if not eaten and put back with mummy mouse. Do this once a week until it starts to feed force feeding is last resort and then use a rat tail cut into inch long pieces. I have never heard of a hatch refusing a common garden skink when offered so this can be an option but then can cause probs later so this is my second last option, good luck.

Turn his heat up and don't let him cool over winter. Don't assist feed yet it's only been 3 months I've had them go 7 months without a feed straight out of the egg. If they are not feeding leave a live pinkie in there click clack over night and remove in the morning if not eaten and put back with mummy mouse. Do this once a week until it starts to feed force feeding is last resort and then use a rat tail cut into inch long pieces. I have never heard of a hatch refusing a common garden skink when offered so this can be an option but then can cause probs later so this is my second last option, good luck.
Thanks for your reply.
I will try what you have said & hope it works. Thanks again

hes still aggressive but i gom him eating tonight but he only ate a pinkie mouse way to small for him

i would'nt stress pythons do that sometimes whats the cage temp at.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back