Cane Toad Tadpoles Pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
My folks have a dam on their property up north, the cane toads are a bit quiet this year - still managed to spy the odd one.
Cheers
Ad

How do you deal with disposing of the tadpoles?

Nice pics btw :)

Tadpoles

Is there anything else in the Dam, can it be dragged to get the majority out? Or would this put other species in danger of being scooped?

Are the tadpoles poision's to any thing that eat's them, like the toad, eg can fish eat them and by o.k?

I dont think the tad poles are poisoness, I think its just the gland things or whateva they are on the actual frog that produces poison. Someone els will know better than me tho :mrgreen:

Bzzzt....

I think you find that the taddies are just as lethal to most species.

They are really are an ugly species that just does not belong here!!

There are couple of species that can eat them safely.. from memory slatey greys are one of them. There are other species that have learned just to eat the bits that are not poisonous... how they learned when the toxin is 100% lethal for most species is beyond me but some have. (A couple of species of birds from memory.)

There must be a way of collecting them as tadpoles when they are confined to a dam though.

jnglgrl said:
I dont think the tad poles are poisoness, I think its just the gland things or whateva they are on the actual frog that produces poison. Someone els will know better than me tho :mrgreen:
--
hs_CompleteChondro_thumb.jpg

January 2006 Herp Shop Special
Order your copy of the
** Hot off the press **
"The More Complete Chondro"

during January 2006 and receive a bonus free Oz Herp Thermometer and Oz Herp Hygrometer with each copy.
These neat little units normally sell for $6 each or $10 the pair.
hs_OzHerpTherHygro_thumb.jpg

The toadpoles are deadly, but many native fish species can eat them, as can short necked turtles.
That dam will be full of toadpoles for 6 months of the year, can you really expect them to drag net it every week for no return?

Most of the toads we find that are dead have been eaten from the belly side in so as not to get in contact with the poision glands. It is not uncommon to see a few crows attacking toads.S o there is one bird that i know can eat them.

Frightening isn't it. When we were on Fraser island we did a nocturnal walk witht the "ranger" of the resort. Some kiwi girl who knew bugger all about Aussie wildlife. She was talking about how cane toads have made it to Fraser island and how bad that is (which it is)...then when she spots a baby toad she says to all the young kids on the tour - "Who likes squashing baby toads kids?". I was incredulous. She then went on to say " But be careful as some of the frog species look a lot like baby toads".

I spoke up immediately in front of the whole group saying you should catch what you think is a toad then have it IDd properly and then freeze or gas it. She was pretty embarassed but I couldn't help myself...a ranger encouraging kids to kill what they "think" are toads....unbelievable.

A few years ago when I was at uni we dissected a Cane Toad. Before we started the demonstrator got our attention and emphasized that the cane toad was deadly, and we should all take extreme caution, use gloves, wash hands thoroughly afterwards etc. I thought she was being a bit over the top, but I later found out that a couple of years before one of the class dissected open a female full of eggs. While the demonstrator was out of the room, for a $20 bet he ate a string of the eggs. The demostrator didn't know about this until the student collapsed. Apparently his heart stopped and they had to use CPR until the ambulance arrived. He recovered, but the demonstrator never did fully. She watched us like a hawk.

:p

Hix

All you need is some KEELBACKS in that dam and problem solved. They love chowing down on toad taddies. I've seen them eating them from taddies to froglet/toadets (not a frog/ toad expert). We now have toad traps you can buy from the council and recieve a rebate for it. A nasty problem that need a solution soon.....

you can see why they (australia) have such strict rules about exotics comming in i spose! :(

does anyone think cane toads will ever be eradicated ?

yes defineatly one of the biggest environment terrorist to enter the country, and the damage they've done now in the territory like else in this great country almost makes you cry, should have slapped the scientist who came up with the idea in the first place. Hope our species will adapt and slowly regain species numbers again. fingers crossed. :(

Work has been conducted looking for a bufo-specific virus but no luck yet. We may find that is the only solution.

:p

Hix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back