A little help please

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

larrisa

Reaction score
hi every one,

I just need a little bit of help if possible yesterday i purchased me very first snake yay me:lol: been wanting one for a good 10 years lol
i now own a spotted python and he is 15 months old

the thing i need help with is i am not sure if i am feeding him the right amount the pet shop sold me velvet rats and he had one yesterday afternoon as the feeding record i was given said he hadnt been for a week now today everytime we walked past him he took a strike at the cage so we decided to try to give him another velvet rat which he took straight away and now looks very happy and content should i maybe upgrade his food to a bigger rat or not please any help or advice would be really really helpful thanks larrisa

Best option is to weigh him. Take 15-20% of his body weight and that is the ideal sized prey item :)

Yeah i agree with sharky, and if he striked at you inside his cage, he is probably stressed not hungry, just leave him alone in a quiet place for a week or so and he should settle in fine

Last edited:
thank u thank u for the such quick replies i am so learning as i go lol
after he took the second rat my partner made him a little cave for him which he went straight in side and looked very happy as he is still in the tub i bought from the pet shop until we get his nice new home on tuesday i just want to do the right thing by him

A good rule of thumb for beginners. A snake can eat a rat roughly 1.5 times the thickness of the fattest part of the snake's body.

Apart from the sizing advice... let it settle in for two weeks, curtain of the enclosure for a week and offer him a decent feed. Leave him for another week before you worry about handling him. Once settled weigh him up and get an idea of feed size. At that age a feed every 10-14days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back