Baritji eggs!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hola!
The egg is still looking fertile, I am told.... not getting my hopes up, but it would be cool if it hatches!!!!

**** news though, 1 of my BTS eggs is crappy!!! 2 more left!

Brodie

I'll take one of those off ur hands mate, who wants the second one?

Don't get too excited, I've had heaps of infertile herp eggs look perfect until over a week after the rest of the clutches have hatched. Have a go at candling, it should confirm their status.

Since monitor eggs, are not fully developed when they are laid, candling is useless until after about one month of incubation. So I just have to wait it out heh.

Brodie

means that inside the egg, is another soft egg (like a human egg) that is still turning into a lizard type embryo

the blood vessels should be there shouldn't they? I'm sure you could tell. Open up a fresh python egg and you don't exactly see a half grown hatchling, but the blood vessels are easily visible. I can't recall candling my goanna eggs before, I'll have a go this season, but I'd be suprised if they can't be candled for their first month.

Just checked up a reference, Vincent and Wilson in their book Australian Goannas (1999) say varanid eggs can be candled and doesn't say to wait.

Well, I was told that by no less than 5 of the most experienced monitor keepers in the world! Three from Australia.

Brodie

Hard to argue with that! :) I'll definately have to candle my goanna eggs this season to see what they look like. They've always looked good and I've never had an infertile one, so don't usually candle them, not completely sure if I ever have.

lol,
Well I didnt know it until about 3 days after the baritji laid.. I was told to candle the decent looking egg, I did and no veins showed, I nearly threw it away! Lucky huh, well I hope so anyway :D

Brodie

When I've candled eggs that look good but have no blood vessels, I've usually stuck them in the incubator, at first it was just in case, but after hatching none of them, it's more out of curiosity - to see how an infertile egg will look through incubation.

I hope it's fertile for you Brodes, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you mate....lol

%$#$@^!&#!!!
Sorry, I thought I had told ya's, obviously not!
The egg was screwed last friday.. Not to worry, it was expected!
But.. $#@%@ my BTS eggs are all gone now too.
Not a good week!

Brodie

Ah well, no suprises with the goanna eggs. Spewer about the tree snake eggs though :(
Breeding anything else this year?
I didn't think you guys were allowed to keep vens...(?)

Baritji, I have found that it is pretty easy to candle monitor eggs. Yes, it is hard to see any veins when first laid, but the egg of a fertile egg is normally pink when you candle it in the dark. Infertile eggs are yellow when candled. Try it with some future clutches

Thanks Bob,
will do.

Sdaji,
I am about to put my carpets together, not sure if the female is big enough though.
I have kingorum together, and about to put the baritji together.... fingers crossed.. would like some montior eggs by the end of the year.

We aren't allowed to keep elapids, rear fanged snakes are fine. I think we can keep elapids now anyway, heard of a few people having their applications accepted. I hope so! Might have some Pale Headed Snakes on the way.

Brodie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back