Bonsai trees.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 2 at the moment. A Port Jackson Fig and a Maple. Not sure how old but i'm guessing pretty young.

Just wondering though, is there a specific fertilizer we should use? Or is any good?

My mum has loads of Wisteria so i might ask if i can steal some cuttings :) They're so pretty!

This tree is around 100 years old. It belongs to a workmate of mine who is a well respected member of the Bonsai community in Australia.
The spotteds are mine.

Attachments

• B+KinFig1.jpg
    B+KinFig1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 82
  • B+KinFig2.jpg
    B+KinFig2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 85
  • B+KinFig3.jpg
    B+KinFig3.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 88
This is the Sargent Juniper I was talking about, that I got my girlfriend for valentines day.

It came in the mail today.

Attachments

• bonsai.jpg
    bonsai.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 74
  • bonsai1.jpg
    bonsai1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 63
hey i own a pyracantha i bought it from the cowra japanese gardens and it is about 22cm high and it grows awesome flowers i bought the bonsai from the same place nightowl listed

We have 2 at the moment. A Port Jackson Fig and a Maple. Not sure how old but i'm guessing pretty young.

Just wondering though, is there a specific fertilizer we should use? Or is any good?

My mum has loads of Wisteria so i might ask if i can steal some cuttings :) They're so pretty!

in the warmer months i tend to use any commercial general purpose fertilizer thats high in nitrogen (i buy from woolies) to promote leaf growth and come autumn/winter is switch over to a seaweed based fertilizer to help condition the soil and help improves root growth. i tend to fertilize every month from spring thru to summer then every 2 to 3 months when it gets colder.

Some interesting ideas in the thread. I grow a lot of different varieties of chilli, and have wanted to try 'bonchi'. It's not traditional bonsai, and the purists would sniff at it, but...
Chillis look great with this method - I've got a 3yo Red Habanero that has been pruned back harshly this season, stands only 500mm tall, but with a base thats nearly 35mm thick. It's producing lots of undersized pods that are 10+++ in heat, so it'll be perfect!

That'd be unreal tooninoz, keep us posted if you get one going.

I used to do a bit of bonsai in my youth, had a chinese elm, a small pine (not sure what variety), a catoneaster, & a PJ fig. They're all gone now except for the PJ, which is still at my folk's place, very neglected, but alive (not surprising, I reckon those figs would survive a nuclear blast along with the cockroaches, they're bullet proof).

This thread has inspired me to rescue it & get it going again. Might even get onto some others. I have a ground cover grevillea that spills over a retaining wall, it looks like an oversized bonsai set up in a "cascade" effect, so might get a cutting off that. Have always considered the dwarf azaleas as well, since the flowers would be more in proportion on a bonsai than standard azaleas.

I had a try at Bonsai years ago when i grew "herbs" hydroponically. The hydro shop i used to get my supplies from had a chemical that you diluted and sprayed onto whatever plant and it would make it a bonsai. It was quite funny actually instead of the leaves being 10cm or so they maxed out at about 1.5cm and instead of being a couple of feet high after 2 months the 2 that i sprayed didn't even make it to 1ft after 6 months. I've been looking for this stuff to try it on some other plants but with no luck. Has anyone heard of the stuff or know where you can get it??

Ben

eucalyptus little spotty is a good one to try bonsai.
acmena smithii minor is also a great native to bonsai
banksia marginata
all these species have a relativley small leaf which makes them easier to bonsai
i would suggest a acmena smithii minor which is a lilly pilly, thats if you are to go native.
easiest bonsai to look after though in my opinion is a junpierus prostrata, they are readily available at most nurserys.
and i would suggest to do research and buy a ordinary plant and make it into a bonsai.
much more rewarding and also half the price!! pre made bonsai starters are a rip off!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back