Bunnings vs reptile heating/light supplies. Opinions?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

no_tofu_speed

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I am about to move to overhead heat, rather than a heatmat.
The globes etc are quite costly and I can see it all adding up big.

I heard heard and read about people using a 100watt household globe for daylight and a blue or red party light for the night.

I know in a contained area for a period of time, it will heat up. But just holding my hand a foot away from an ongoing 100watt light in the house for 5 minutes... it doesnt seem very warm at all. And the party light being of less power.... and nights being colder (I am in Newcastle NSW, not too cold but cold enough in winter)... I'm just thinking the poor thing may get too cold during the night with this setup.

Can someone please confirm this sort of setup is OK and will generate enough heat and he will not get too cold and sick?

Tank is small. 60x30x35.

What kind of thermostat btw? Or not needed really with household globes?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43264

I run mine like the above link. 100W spotlight globe from bunnings model R80 globe for day.
For night i use 2* 40W party globes.

This is suitable for cages from 4*2*2ft up to 6*2*2ft thermostated of course.

In this set up I use 2* IMIT thermostats one that controls day and one that controls night. You could do the same thing with a probe microclimate b1me with nightime drop thermostat.

You are right that it is hard to keep up temp with just blue globes at night if you are not in a semi heated room. I like to cycle animals for breeding (cooling in winter) and this set-up gives me great control over that.

Good Luck

Cheers

You can buy an ES ceramic fitting with an on/off switch and a 100W basking globe (Very good quality. It is diffenantly stronger then most of your cheap alternatives) For around $35 bux from one of the sponsers. Think it is strictly reptiles?

Its great value for money and the globe also contains UVB.

In all honesty, i had to use a red party globe on my reptiles for 4 days only recently and the heat produced by it (60W) was just pathetic. I had it 20cm from the ground and it still wasn't producing alot of heat. IMO don't skimp on the heating now or you will probably regret it.

I would buy 2 of the ceramic ES fittings for $17.50 ea and then a red and a basking globe. Use one globe in ea and you have yourself good reliable heating throughout the day and night.

Sam.

If you do go the globe route make sure you use ceramic fittings as the plastic ones will fail in a relatively short time in a confined space such as an enclosure.

Other alternatives include heat panels (which work out quite price competitive because they are pre wired, almost never fail, do not require protective cages etc.... not to mention that they look better than globes.

You may wish to check out the heating (and thermostats) page at the Herp Shop which pretty much shows the range of options. They also do bulk blue globes if you go that option.

The other option you have for longevity is to fit a ceramic heat emitter with a B2 or B2ME Microclimate thermostat. This set up shoud last you years with out changing any bulbs.

Just out of curiousity - what are we talking about? Snake or lizard (or frog), hatchy or subadult?

:p

Hix

I use standard house light globes for things like snakes were a really hot basking spot isn't needed. For things like beardies try the cheap reflector globes from coles they should heat up under the light much more then a standard globe and are cheap as chips.

I am about to move to overhead heat, rather than a heatmat.
The globes etc are quite costly and I can see it all adding up big.

I heard heard and read about people using a 100watt household globe for daylight and a blue or red party light for the night.

I know in a contained area for a period of time, it will heat up. But just holding my hand a foot away from an ongoing 100watt light in the house for 5 minutes... it doesnt seem very warm at all. And the party light being of less power.... and nights being colder (I am in Newcastle NSW, not too cold but cold enough in winter)... I'm just thinking the poor thing may get too cold during the night with this setup.

Can someone please confirm this sort of setup is OK and will generate enough heat and he will not get too cold and sick?

Tank is small. 60x30x35.

What kind of thermostat btw? Or not needed really with household globes?

Thanks in advance.

For a tank of that size i would stick with a 60-75 watt house globe that you can get at Bunnings or supermarkets. I would use a microclimate thermostat since it's a tank. If it was a timber enclosure i would use the TY-90 wall thermostat available from the Herp Shop.

I would also continue using the heat mat under the tank and this can also be used for the night heating so you dont need a coloured night globe.

Most reptiles can handle cold nights without a problem as long as the day temps reach back up to 28, 29, 30'c.

I just bought 2 x 150w ceramics for $28 +$13 Express Post on ebay, received in less than 2 days.

2yo carpet/diamond.
Reason moving to lighting is he apparantly burnt his belly on heatmat. Could have been cause he chose to lay in his waste... Either way he ended up with abelly injury, after shed, he had deterioration of scales on his belly, to extent of some spots having bare skin.....

go to bunnings and get a phillips spotone R80 they are exactly the same a the exo terra heat globes but they only cost about $3.00

Good to know that some of the bunnings stuff is sufficient, Think I will try the R80, thanks paulw6676. Was thinking about it since Hazzard mentioned it previously...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back