Can snakes sense fear?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am curious as to where you gained that information, can you show us the scientific evidence that supports this, or is this just your theory? I agree to an extent, snakes do have a superior sense of smell, but I am keen to see some evidence to their reaction to fear!:eek:
Cheers...

That would be interesting. The way i always saw it was that they would remember you by scent and know that you were more confident, as a lot of ppl have been saying

I am curious as to where you gained that information, can you show us the scientific evidence that supports this, or is this just your theory? I agree to an extent, snakes do have a superior sense of smell, but I am keen to see some evidence to their reaction to fear!:eek:
Cheers...

I have worked as a snake catcher for many years .
Watching snakes reactions to people also to animals When the snake has felt threatened by dogs or people and also when it hasnt been so intimidated.
I have seen it with my own collection and other peoples collection as well.
This can also be proved sometimes when other animals take an instant dislike to some people when they generally accept most people.
I also sell elapids at times and before I will sell an elapid to a person I watch the body language between the snake and the person.
The way I do it isnt fool proof but it does give a better than average idea.
Generally if a person is exagerating about experience with elapids or pythons they generally show some signs of fear.
My observations have been discussed with other snake handlers and we do tend to have the same general idea

I have worked as a snake catcher for many years .
Watching snakes reactions to people also to animals When the snake has felt threatened by dogs or people and also when it hasnt been so intimidated.
I have seen it with my own collection and other peoples collection as well.
This can also be proved sometimes when other animals take an instant dislike to some people when they generally accept most people.
I also sell elapids at times and before I will sell an elapid to a person I watch the body language between the snake and the person.
The way I do it isnt fool proof but it does give a better than average idea.
Generally if a person is exagerating about experience with elapids or pythons they generally show some signs of fear.
My observations have been discussed with other snake handlers and we do tend to have the same general idea
so your saying that it is just your theory there are not facts just your expience

I very much doubt a snake has an in built knowledge of what human fear smells like, it would have almost no evolutionary advantage(I dont think humans killing snakes has had much to do with their selection). I think the being flighty with inexperienced handlers is just becaus they rnt holding the snake properly.

I very much doubt a snake has an in built knowledge of what human fear smells like, it would have almost no evolutionary advantage(I dont think humans killing snakes has had much to do with their selection). I think the being flighty with inexperienced handlers is just becaus they rnt holding the snake properly.
well said

Yeh, I agree with that although open for opinions!
Snakesrule, good to hear your experiences!
I personally have not observed that, not to say it doesn't happen!
Do you observe this in wild caught specimens more, just curious?

i don't know but if Snakes sense fear my wife would be a great test. I'll try it out tonight and see if he reacts differently with her than me cause she is s..t scared of our little bloke.

i'll just put this one out there if anyone can explain it?

my bredli is a bitey little man, and will always bite me or anyone that tries to pick him up, however, when shawn comes to visit (rocket from these forums) he can pick him straight up without a drama!

cant explain it but i have had a simmilar thing happen to me when i was an animal keeper i was cleaning out the snake tanks in the off limits area and it was time for me to clean out one of the bredli cages i hooked him out then useing my hands i took him to the container we put them in while we clean their cages and wack he latched on to the palm of my hand and the other guy i worked with took it from me while i washed my hands it didnt bite him at all he handed it back to me and wack it got me again this happened about four time every time i washed my hands i now own the snake and it is at home in my collection and it has never tryed to have a go at me or anyone else i dont think it has any thing to do with them sensing fear im not afraid of getting bitten i have volunteered my hand many of time to get bitten by all sorts of herps just to see how it feels i cant explain why they act the way they do i have picked up many wild pythons that are calmer then some of my captive ones. one of the misteries that will be with them forever only they will know we can guess as much as we like :)

cant explain it but i have had a simmilar thing happen to me when i was an animal keeper i was cleaning out the snake tanks in the off limits area and it was time for me to clean out one of the bredli cages i hooked him out then useing my hands i took him to the container we put them in while we clean their cages and wack he latched on to the palm of my hand and the other guy i worked with took it from me while i washed my hands it didnt bite him at all he handed it back to me and wack it got me again this happened about four time every time i washed my hands i now own the snake and it is at home in my collection and it has never tryed to have a go at me or anyone else i dont think it has any thing to do with them sensing fear im not afraid of getting bitten i have volunteered my hand many of time to get bitten by all sorts of herps just to see how it feels i cant explain why they act the way they do i have picked up many wild pythons that are calmer then some of my captive ones. one of the misteries that will be with them forever only they will know we can guess as much as we like :)
You weren't scratching your nether regions (you know your off limits area) prior to picking him up were you? :lol: (joke)
Maybe they just think some of us humans stink, i'd bite too if that was the only way to get the big smelly dude from touching me! Maybe some of us do excrete a smell, whether it be from food, fear or whatever, that snakes really dislike!
I agree, it's one of those mysteries that we will never know, no matter how much research is done as we can never get into each and every snakes psyche.

Last edited:
Yeh, I agree with that although open for opinions!
Snakesrule, good to hear your experiences!
I personally have not observed that, not to say it doesn't happen!
Do you observe this in wild caught specimens more, just curious?

Hi Scm1
Yes . I do notice it with wild caught snakes. Probably more so with copperheads and tigers
Generally not with browns as they are more defensive to things their not sure of.
I do a fair bit from time to time when the snakes are trapped in Telstra pits or Electricity Pits or even in houses or factories.
I am asked from time to time why has this snake allowed you to pick it up and place it in a bag when ten minutes a go it was strking out at every thing . I just feel the snake doesnt feel so threatened when it is confronted by somebody over worried by it.
Some body said is this your theory and yes it probably is to a certain degree.
But it is a view I share with a number of other experienced snake handlersand as I said in aprevious post . It doesnt always work but It does work for me in the majority of times.
This theory or practise has been documented on some wildlife programs
but without seeing the programs again I couldnt tell you what they were as I no longer have pay tv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back