Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The laws in NSW are not as clear as they shold be. They state that reptiles "can not be traded THROUGH pet shops". It does not merely sate they cant be sold BY pet shops but uses the word "THROUGH". It is therefore questionable whether a herp being sold via a notice board in a pet shop is being sold 'THROUGH" the pet shop. I have asked NPWS this question and they were not willing to commit themselves to an answer. I accept that because it is a courts decision to interpret the law, not a publc servant's.

My licence also states clearly that "the licensee shall not advertise for the disposal or acquisition of protected fauna the subject of this licence, except in a publication of a society of keepers of fauna authorised to be held under this licence of which the licensee is a member".

What this means is that the only place I can advertise to buy or sell a reptile is through the Macarthur Herp Society newsletter or web site (I will assume a web site is a publication - I dont know of any precedents there). I am not able to advertise on this web site, or any other public advertising site according to the conditions on my licence.

You can say all you like that people do it, and clearly NPWS know that we do it, but the wording on your licence is quite clear. So, this would also extend to a notice board in a pet shop. Again, I have contacted NPWS on this and they have not been willing to commit to whether or not these practices are legal.

Oh, and it doesn't matter that the web site is in Vic. Your licence says you can't advertise. It doesn't say you can't advertise in NSW.

Just food for thought. Perhaps we should understand just how flexible Jeff Hardy is being towards us. And especially to people who are clearly promoting themselves on a regular basis.

Peter, if they decided to enforce that clause then I think a lot of breeders in NSW would lose their licences.

The ban on commercial trade was imposed by government NOT NPWS. The objective was simply to prohibit pet shops from having reptiles on display, or advertising through the popular press, which would in turn encourage impulse purchasers who had no knowledge of or commitment to the reptiles they bought. There is enough of a problem with hermit crabs, spiders and scorpions etc that only last a few weeks in the hands of impulse buyers, without opening up access to reptiles. NPWS is not concerned about advertising on reptile specific web sites or in reptile specific publications. Petlink could be a problem.

re Corn

Hows all your letter lickers going in there anyway jeffrey,you have to get them started on the boots and let them work there way up :p

Thanks for confirming that Jeff. This is the first time I have seen that in writing. Seems the department is applying the "mischief rule" over the "literal rule". And I think with your knowledge of what we are doing a court would take this line as well.

But surely making people wait 2 weeks for a licence would stop impulse buying? If a person walks into a pet shop and says "I'll have that bearded dragon thanks" and the pet shop says "Yeah, sure, can I have your licence number" then if the person already has a licence then the impulse has perhaps been negated by their 2 week wait and pre-determination to buy a reptile. If they don't have a licence then they are not able to buy the lizard and have to come back in 2 weeks after outlaying their hard earned on a licence. Of course, this doesn't happen with scorpions or spiders because Joe Public can simply walk in, lay cash on the counter, and walk out with a new animal. Can also do it with cats, dogs, birds, rabbits, ferrets, chickens etc etc.

Zulu, we don't lick letters, let alone boots. We are directed by our political masters and it would not matter even if we were in a positition to, or if it was desirable, to lick boots to achieve our conservation based objectives.

The two week suggestion is appreciated, but not a realistic deterrant. It is probable that within a few months a person over the age of 18 will be able to apply for and be immediately granted a Class 1 bird, reptile or frog licence on-line. Muich the same as amateur fishiong licence.

But I guess also that having to get it through a herp society or place like this, you will get less people who don't know how to look after it. The places that they encourage you to buy them from are much more likely to give you a care sheet than a pet shop.

Jeff, I am heartened to hear about the on-line stuff. Can I be so bold as to ask that your on-line resources be moved to keeping our fauna books online rather than on line applications. That way we dont need to submit each year (unless we want to) and transfers are updated constantly instead of annually. You will love reading my book in April. It smells, looks and tastes of red wine courtesy of "late night posts".

Oh, if only it were that simple, Peter. On-line fauna record submission has been suggested, discussed, review, discussed some more and rejected because of the mischief that some people get up to. Same old story, the few spoil it for the many.

I'd be happy to receive a review copy of your book

Hi, i live closer to Windsor, so how would i go about joinng the Herp Society. My friend has a Diamond Python but he is quite gnarly so havent handled him.

re Corn

Hi tryptych,go along to the Hawksbury herp society,meetings are every second friday of the month at 7 pm at richmond community hall,think thats right trip you can google a list of herp societys that would have contact numbers etc I see your post was taken over,PMSL :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back