EPA expert advice...LOL

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zobo

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi,
just something to share after a phone call today.
I spoke to someone from Qld EPA as I am in process of renewing my licence. Anyway when the issue of GTP'S came up I was confidently advised byt the EPA ranger that aussie GTP'S and international GTP'S cannot interbreed. Now she did not mean as in it is illegal to breed them she stated they can't breed as they are different species.
I tried to mention a few points to her (ie they are commonly cross bred) and that they have in fact even been cross bred with other species...jungle, carpet etc. But no she had an expert at the EPA who explains it like this, 'think of them like butterflies, just because they both have wings does not mean they can breed'???????????
and these are the people regulating the hobby????

LOL

j

and to top it off the person I was speaking to has NEVER seen a GTP!
and her expert co=worker can easily visually tell the difference between an aussie and international GTP. (apparently it is in the eyes!)
(I know pure lines are distinquishable but there are some crosses that are very misleading in geographic locality)
j

tell her to go to chondro forum where there is a pic of a jungle and GTP mating

Bahaha...Thats awesome! :lol: SO FUNNY! I mean, I knew they were fairly stupid and uneducated, but geez! They are suppose to know more than us! They are suppose to know everything about them as that is their main field of work and they get PAID to know this kind of thing etc! The least they could do is research it!:rolleyes: Us keepers know so much more than them, and for most of us its not our sole job/occupation etc etc Most of us have full-time jobs and do it on the side etc etc...

But I spose, its something that really interests us and we are insanely passionate about so we actively seek out as much info as we can about it, and some of us actively seek them out in the wild and study and photograph them, they are probably not so keen on reptiles and actually probably hate them and hence dont want to know anything about them etc etc...

But still, you'd think being a government-run department and all, they would properly train or hire people to know more than the average Joe about this kind of thing!.....Shows how much this department and the welfare of our native animals really means to them huh? :rolleyes: I wish they actually employed people who actually know stuff about them, and have actual experience with them, not just that they are cold-blooded and have scales (or not if its a certain "morph" of death adder for example - something Im almost 100% certain that none of them know! ;) :lol:)

Hahaha reminds me, I had a couple of rangers come out to mine to help fix up my books when I first started out, and I could have told them that they were a really rare type of prehistoric python and that they only live on the bottom of a freshwater lake in tasmania oh.,..and that they are crossed with a ven:lol:, and they would have believed me!:shock: One of them knew nothing about them, and the other who was spose to be the "reptile expert" at that branch, had no clue!

I asked him about a deceased CENTRAL bearded dragon and if I could let my lecturer (he is an awesome - and my FAVOURITE - lecturer and knows his stuff when it comes to reptiles and all wildlife in general) autopsy it and bury it afterwards, he said no that I cant let it go to my lecturer as its still a protected species, I told him that he has a scientific/educational purposes permit to collect dead protected animals etc, and he said, Oh, ok...He would find them dead around here all the time anyways - I was thinking errr, no he wouldnt! Its a Central bearded dragon, NOT an EASTERN bearded dragon! :rolleyes: But I just kept my mouth shut about it and let them believe that central beardies come from the east coast of Aus...LOL! As I wanted to know why it died etc and I wanted to aid in scientific research/training etc... Oh and its not like he didnt know which type of beardie it was, He saw in my books it was a Central and sighted it and everything....Mustnt have know that Centrals come from central aus and easterns come from eastern aus and hence the naming of them LOL! Even though a small child could figure that one out! :rolleyes:

Anyways, enough of my blabbering lol

It really does suck though when you are first starting out and want to know as much as you can on the legalities and things or you've been in it for a while and want to follow something up further etc, and the people who are suppose to know them inside and out have NFI whatsoever! I mean, thats their chosen career path, and yet they know Sweet F All about it! Either that, or they THINK they know everything and you know for a fact that its WRONG!:evil:

Last edited:
Funny...but yet so very disheartening....

(SO not suprised, but still disheartening...:rolleyes:)

Last edited:
I had to tell her that I disagree and leave it at that because she wanted to continue argueing the point.

Many moons ago I used to work in a pet store (before reptile times in Qld) and during an inspection with the local BOSS ranger I pointed out some painted button quails we had on the books, and her response......'quails dont need to be on licence' . At the time there were about half a dozen types of quails on licence in Qld and I had to explain that to the head ranger.

What makes me angry is I went to uni (envronmental science) and wanted to be a ranger and I think I still have more knowledge than most of them, but do you think I could get a job with them when I was younger.....no. (I am now in a diff field as that was 10 years ago)

j

Thus far I've only had one inspection (which we basically had to ask them to do - long story) but the ranger who did it gave me two of my favourite EPA stories in the process. First - when the self proclaimed EB expert looked at the Eastern Brown we used to have that was going munyuk at him through the glass and said "What's that?" and the second - when he changed (when no one was looking) the record book....he decided that one of our jungles was actually a coastal.

re EPA

They know stuffall at the NPWS generally,ranger stacey is from QLD and shes hot so nothing she tells me would be wrong,ide be the prawn on her barby anyday :)

They know stuffall at the NPWS generally,ranger stacey is from QLD and shes hot so nothing she tells me would be wrong,ide be the prawn on her barby anyday :)

ummmm lol?? went on weird angle their didnt you...

You wouldn't want to have any yellow hatchlings or hormonal blues when you had an inspection, By the sounds of it you couldn't convince them they where the same species as the green ones!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back