For Dobermanmick-Big Attitude

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do these guys have a long life span? It's just that he has a look to him that suggests that you and he will be hanging out for many years to come.
Regards Rina.

Saddly most Green Iguanas in captivity will die within 5yrs. due to improper diet (ie. crickets). The livers of Green Iguanas cannot metabolize any animal protent what so ever. They are strictly herbivorus. The should live 12-15yrs., with proper care and proper diet. I look forward to many more years with Armadhi. My wife and I have become quite fond of him and his little ways.

So in terms of his dietary requirements, what do you guys have to feed him? Are there any inherent 'genetic' conditions with these guys?

30-45% of their diet needs to be made up of leafy green veggies and flowers ei. collard greens, mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion greens and flowers, hibiscus leaves and flowers, carrot tops, nasturtium leaves and flowers, green onions, escarole, parsely, leeks, spinach, chard, beet greens, chinese cabbage, bok choy, and kale.

30-40% needs to be other veggies like green beans, yellow wax beans, zucchini, yellow or crookneck squash, sweet bell peppers, peas, okra, celery, carrot, legumes (cooked), sprouts, frozen mixed veggies.

10-15% needs to be fruits like black berries, mango, kiwi, peach, blueberries, apple, melon, pear, banana, apricot, cherries, grapes, figs, plums, strawberries.

0-4% grain based foods like cooked pasta, cooked rice, cooked cream of wheat, bread.

1-3% supplimental protein like monkey biscuit, tofu, commercial iguana food, a low-fat, meat free dog food formulated for older dogs.

Now of that list kale, spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, bok choy, chinese cabbage, chard, beets, rubarb, whole grans, beet greens, and dock should only be offered sometimes because they contain either oxalates, phytates, and goitrogens that block clacium absorption or iodine absorption.

Once a week I always mix in alittle calcium powder with the salad. They need to be fed everyday, and everything needs to be chopped very fine or shreded. They're great animals but there's alot to them.

Sounds like a meal fit for me except the last bit could do without dog food.
Good luck on snapping up an albino Kev.That would be special.
Imagine hard to come by aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back