Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im undecided, my dog is a cross breed and i love her to bits but i would never cross breed on purpose personally. love an animal for its pure natural form... your not god.. but on that note that snake will be awesome if it turns out to be a green and black jungle... It would be cool to do that with a gtp and a hypo bredli and get a green and orange jungle.Then i rekon you would see some chill colours.. lol see undecided...

I wouldnt say its playing god, playing god, to me, is mixing genes through scientific processes such as artificial incemination. If they breed with out this help, then it is not impossible to happen in the wild just super highly unlikely considering localities etc. Of course when people start cross breeding species that have low survival rates and are known to suffer neuro problems I think it is wrong.

That being said this animal is nice looking, and I would love to see this after a colour change, if one happens that is.

Hi Fay,
I have a number of hybrids, mostly Diamond influence, and one girl (my eldest) is a Diamond x Bredli.
I keep her in a massive 4x4x2 enclosure that has a hot spot of 34-35 deg and gradients away to where the cool spots are room temp.
Snakes aren't as dumb as some people make them out to be, and will choose a spot that suits them.
As long as you provide a temp gradient in the enclosure they will be fine.

Of course this is my experience and I am sure there are other ways people can keep them :)

Cheers
Shaun.

I wouldnt say its playing god, playing god, to me, is mixing genes through scientific processes such as artificial incemination. If they breed with out this help, then it is not impossible to happen in the wild just super highly unlikely considering localities etc. Of course when people start cross breeding species that have low survival rates and are known to suffer neuro problems I think it is wrong.

That being said this animal is nice looking, and I would love to see this after a colour change, if one happens that is.

okay its not playing god i was being a little dramatic but i still dont wanna see all places end up like the states where its all morphs. is it true its hard to get a natural looking beardie there??

^^^^
Scientists have proved it is 'possible' to breed homo sapiens with chimpanzees and proboscis monkeys

So they can be produced
Would they also be 'meant to be'???

:lol: Hilarious! I look at some people though & wonder if it is happening around us already! ;) I dont really know if im for or against hybrids.......ur hatchie is cute either way though.

^^^^
Scientists have proved it is 'possible' to breed homo sapiens with chimpanzees and proboscis monkeys

So they can be produced
Would they also be 'meant to be'???

Yup.

Not that I want to be the one humpin monekys :D

IVe heard its tough to get any "pure" reptiles in the US at all. Which is what I love about Australia that we still have such dedicated breeders working so hard to keep our animals all natural.

Someone who doesn't keep reptiles was admiring my GTPs and asked; "is there anything nicer than these?" I replied, "I suppose there is, everyone wants blue, calico, high yellow, mite phase, etc., chondros in these days". She said "Gee, isn't nice green (as in colour) good enough anymore?"
I pondered over her question for a while.

What I would like to know is...if you cross a diamond with a bredli or a darwin.....how do you keep this animal? Diamonds are a cool climate snake and hate to be overheated, darwins like it warm?? Bredli are from Central Australia so....they like it reasonable warm during the day anyway.

That's exactly what I was thinking...

Someone who doesn't keep reptiles was admiring my GTPs and asked; "is there anything nicer than these?" I replied, "I suppose there is, everyone wants blue, calico, high yellow, mite phase, etc., chondros in these days". She said "Gee, isn't nice green (as in colour) good enough anymore?"
I pondered over her question for a while.

I agree with this, I have a few friends that know nothing about snakes but when I bring it up , and look at pictures, the result is the same everytime "I like the bright green ones, are you going to get one?."

My wife and I breed dogs, and its interesting to know that many species actually were created using cross breeding of other breeds. For example, a Doberman was created using Greyhound, Blue Great Dane among others.
I'm sure that if someone was to see my champion show winning Dobe, no one would say that she is not beautiful.
Never know, in years to come, these snakes may become known as a highly prized and exclusive line.
Just my opinion

Hi Nathan, domestic dogs are all the same species. The different breeds are just different 'mutations' like the differences between a black and white jungle and a black and gold one, only it has been taken further than that with selective breeding/line breeding over time. :)

Yes. Before 1909, there was no such thing as a Doberman. I'm just saying that creating a new mutation has to start somewhere.

The difference is that there is only one genetic species of dog
Even though they are all the same species there are still genetic problems with some of them

Knowing that some species and sub species of reptiles would never interbreed in the wild, do we have the right to force them to breed in captivity, knowing full well that the best colour genes often produce bad genetic defects?

But there has been a PhD paper written on the dna of the morelia spilota subspecies that says that the only ones different are imbracata & bredli. The rest are the same genetically.

IVe heard its tough to get any "pure" reptiles in the US at all. Which is what I love about Australia that we still have such dedicated breeders working so hard to keep our animals all natural.

Why can we not have a mix of both?

Hybrids have their place and some are absolutely stunning animals. If we are not losing our natural animals then what is the problem? Considering I keep pure Aussie GTP's - alot from Michael on the way and every one of our GTP's we can trace the lineage of and are sure they are pure Aussie. I also have Albino Darwins and Olives, an RPM and what we think is an actual coastal carpet but unsure? They are all beautiful in their own way and all have a place both in our home and our hearts...

Everyone is entitled to make their own choices....

Cross breeding can give you an instant result....but what about the less desirable looking ones ?? and where do you go next ??

At least with pure lines it is all pretty straightforward

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back