I'm getting a Woma for Christmas :)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VK2EMP

AussiePythons Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As the title says, my new baby Woma will be ready to ship christmas time - I found a breeder in the same state and assuming all goes well I should have him/her just before or after christmas. Hopefully after as I am going away (just to Katoomba) for christmas and knowing me I'll be worrying about my new pet constantly and not enjoy myself.

I have set up her (just just assume shes a girl until later on when I get her sexed) new hatchy enclosure which is a reptile one hatching box (nice wooden cabinet with glass front and top), 7W reptile one heat mat, microclimate connected II thermostat and small pet store hides and water bowl. Kritter krumble fine for the bedding.

I have two questions.

1. Sticks from the wild. While she is growing in the hatchy box, I'll be working on her big home, a 90x45x60 get your pet right enclosure). For her to climb on I want to put some wild obtained sticks/branches in there to keep the naturalistic theme of the enclosure. Can I just chuck them in the oven on the lowest heat to kill any creepy crawlies for say 5 minutes? Or just stick to the boiling water and out on the outdoor setting for a few days to dry?

2. I'm getting mixed views on where to put the probe(s) of the microclimate - I haven't recieved it yet (should arrive this week along with the pet store hides and water bowl) Some sources say under the substrate over the warm end, others say between the heat mat and the tanks bottom, and yet other say just stick it to the heat mat. (I fix computers and do board level repairs, so have kapton tape on hand that won't come unstuck due to the heat).

Looking forward to getting her - the breeder showed me video of her and I just said "sold, put my name on her - she is sooooo cute!"

Yes I do have my NAKL, sorted that out a month ago. This is my first snake although a housemate many years ago had a diamond python which was a super placid snake and fun to handle.

1.Chuck the sticks in the oven if you are worried about microbes but most of the time ,unless the sticks have been on the ground for a while, you shouldn't worry about ticks and stuff like that.

2. So since you are using simple wood chips there isn't really a promotion for micro-climates and for all my animals I have thermost states probs for imformation that I want but I don't use heat mats so can't really comment on that. I think that you should have multiple different substrates for different areas, such as a mix of sand and that critter crumble on one side and then on the other side have ecy mulch(which I feel is better than critter crumble) and small amounts of coco-coir.

Just saying I have never had a Woma python so I feel that someone that has should comment, just giving my thoughts.
Since you have had experience with snakes I think this will be a breeze for you.

Best of luck

I found some excellent sticks today including an awesome thick one that will make a great prop for a smaller one, plus a good one to put inside the hatchy container. Also bought a fake plant as well. No thermostat as yet. Hurry up Australia Post.

I'll take some pics once I have baked the sticks then set up the enclosures. Yes plural - I also have his forever home on the go so when he is big enough he won't be cramped in the hatchy box and will be able to move straight over to his full sized home.

Just doing the hatchling enclosure now - with nowhere to put the probes in without drilling or otherwise modifying the enclosure, I'll put the warm probe between the heat mat and the bottom of the enclosure glass (outside the tank) and the cool side probe at the opposite end. Then dial it all in with my temperature gun once I fill it with substrate, the hides, water bowl and other decorations.

Be using the kapton tape for this, and because it will be outside the enclosure, there is no chance of the little one getting caught up in wires or tape.

Sound good?

Edit: all dialled in - temps at the glass around 38, temps under hide 35, temps on warm side 33, temps at cool side *checks app* 24.4

My god that was a PITA - probe placement between the mat and glass (outside tank) was critical to get the best results. And of course you need to wait an hour or two for the new placement/configuration to stablise.

I tried different substrates too, and found out the easy way to fog up your snakes enclosure. Need to remember to dry out critters crumble before using it. I'll be putting the little guy on paper towel for the first few weeks for now :)

Last edited:
Back