Infrared light and beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just a question, ive searched the net and found some info but everyone says different things..

I was led to believe that beardies cannot see infrared, i changed my dragons heat emitter to a red infrared light yesterday for more heat. But i am a bit worried that the light has kept her awake all night.
I want to take it out but the heat emitter doesnt give her enough heat...

Soo can they see it or not ??

Yes they can! I did a test with Atticus, and she had her head burried in the far corner of the enclosure looking very grumpy at midnight!! As soon as I turned it off, she went to sleep. Light is light IMO!

They can. Ceremics are better.

Might be a good idea to get one of the "moon lights" they are purple and they are meant to give off a light that is very similar to the moon.
Thats if you want to watch them, if not get a ceramic as mentioned above.

Its widely debated. Ive got my Pygmy Beardies on Infrared lighting and they dont seem to notice it.

Might be a good idea to get one of the "moon lights" they are purple and they are meant to give off a light that is very similar to the moon.
Thats if you want to watch them, if not get a ceramic as mentioned above.

I dont need a light to watch them, i had a ceramic heat emitter but its not hot enough so that is why i bought the infrared globe. She also has a uv light on during the day
The uv light goes off, and i leave the red light on during the night so she is heated..

I dont want to have it on if its disturbing her thats why i wanted some answers, not just saying "yes they can see it" i need proof!!

So what's the going night time temp that everyone goes by? I was always under the impression that unless it's dramatically dropping in temps overnight, that they're better off with no heat of a nighttime to allow them to cool down as they would naturally?
Anyone got the answer?
(& I know that doesn't answer the question either:lol:)

Hey
Thanks for all the comments..didnt really get anything i wanted lol

I turned the red light off last night, as Jazz was awake everytime i walked in the room. As soon as it went off she went to zzzzz
Im just a bit worried about her getting too cold of a night, i think it went down to 12 degrees min. How cold is too cold at night time?

Ours little pygmys were getting down to around the same temps as yours over night sel, and started to go off their food. We've not got a large red heat light (150W on a dimming thermo) running 24/7 and they sleep through it fine. They just hide under their rocks.

Someone told me that 15°C is around the temp they start to brumate(?) so i've upped the floor temp to around 25 and they are active and feeding again

ahh thanks swaddo

Maybe i can put a heat mat under the tank for night time..ill work on it :)

I originally had a red light and found that it disturbed my beardies- I changed to a purple “moon” light over the weekend and have found that this still disturbs them! Whenever the temp drops below the level I have set on the thermostat it automatically turns the light on- and even though it is only a slight light it is still waking them up.
Artex is so tired that she has started to fall asleep well before her designated bed time- at around 4:30 she crawls into her sleeping nook. This is definitely not quite right as the sun is still up for at least another hour and the other two are still feeding happily. The other thing is that when I do check on them at night- if the “moon” light is on- I can see that at least one of the three is always awake- sometimes all three. :shock:
I am going to cover their cage tonight to try and keep the heat in- keeping the temp up more consistently and therefore reducing the time that heat light needs to be on. If this is successful I will let you know.

Light is light. They aren't morons! I tried a few and they all disturbed Atticus. I found her with her head under a sock (long story) in the tank trying to get to sleep, poor babes!

But - no need for ANY heat unless the tank drops below 20 regularly at night. I don't heat Atticus at night, her enclosure drops to 18 on the coolest nights, and she is fiiiine! Healthy and happy and hungry!

I have 2 Frillies and although I don't have them heated at night during the warmer months -they were kept awake by the infra red globe I put in when it started to get a bit chilly. I switched back to the ozpurple I used last winter and they were sleeping properly again in no time! I was surprised too when I saw them not sleeping as I thought they would not be affected by the red light. Oh well, lesson learned :)

Nobody said that beardies were morons- just that it was hoped that the purple light would be less of a disturbance then the red (It is often marketed as a natural light that will not disturb your lizards), and it appears that for some this is the case. I am sure that if people could get away without using a heat light and disturbing their beadies they would- unfortunatly it is already dropping to 10 and under where I live and so I do need some kind of extra heat for them during the night.

Don't worry was just having a laugh. My husband is a scientist (biologist) and he was shaking his head in disbelief at the idea of certain coloured lights not disturbing them. I really think you should try a CHE - is that not an option?

RE. red light etc 'not disturbing' them - I think the problem is that, like humans, they have different levels of tolerance. Of course a red light is *less* bright than a white one, however it is still a light. I personally could easily sleep with a red globe in the room, while I know many people who couldn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back