Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezz91

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently received a couple month old smooth knob tail gecko. Originally he was pretty active at night and would eat at least 5 or so crickets/mealworms per feed but lately he's rarely been coming out of his burrow and its a struggle to get him to eat more than 1 or 2 crickets at a time, wondering if it is just due to the colder temps starting to pick up?

I called the person I bought it off and I am now a bit confused as the information I received was different from everything that I have been reading on the forums?

Told me the burrow side or deeper side of the enclosure should be the warm side not the cold -- I have read multiple threads that say it should be the cold side?
Told me they cannot eat mealworms at all? - but everything I have read includes crickets, mealworms, super worms, woodies etc...
Told me I have too much sand in the enclosure? - mentioned the warm side at max should only have an inch if that and the cold side just a couple of mm? - i've read a few posts that said the cold side should have at least 10-12cm?

He appears the be healthy, pooping like normal, tail is nice and fat, temps and humidity in the enclosure are what is recommended ( 28-32c for warm side, 22-24c cold and humidity between 30-40%). He has just been eating a bit less since his shed and he just seems a bit more skittish or just in the burrow/less active more than he was before the colder weather started up

Should I be switching up my enclosure?

Back