mertens or spencer

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gex2009

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have decide weather to get a 1 yr old spencer or a hatchie mertens water monitor. at the moment im leaning more towards the mertens cause i was going to do a wicked enclosure set up with a 50lt pond in the enclosure filtered water etc.

im after the pro and con of either animals. whats more enjoyable to keep. i also want to be able to handle it and for it to tame up nicely. i have hurd Spencer tame up yer good. mertens?? dunno

give me so info :)

thanks cam

pic of the mertens

Attachments

• mertens.JPG
    mertens.JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 145
Mertons are a bit more timid than Spencers, Spencers will need alot more heating, but will grow up to be a large robust animal, that will happily put up with humans. Spencers also rarely bite out of aggression

so personally if you were after a tame and handleable monitor which one would be the go.. would a mertens be sweet roaming the house etc?

I keep both and find that the spencers settle much quicker, only one of our mertens is really tame enough to be handled regularly, all of our spencers are great, they have been since they hatched. Spencers are easier to keep as they do not deficate in their water, even with a good filter mertens will be alot more work.

If you are looking for a spectacular set up then the mertens is a great choice as you can create a wonderful environment for them, the spencers have a very plain natural habitat in comparison.

If you want a monitor you can interact with more then go the spencers, if you want an awesome dispaly monitor go the mertens.

Mertens would be my pick, better looking when they are older, a lot more interesting semi aquatic. Temperament can be the same, some shy, inquisitive, aggressive specially around feeding be carefully large monitor can do massive damage if you're bitten.

127.jpg

I have posted these pics many times before, this guy belongs to a mate of mine (though the kids belong to me), he will happily sit on the lawn and put up with pretty much anything, not too many mons are so care free. They are the Best of all mons to keep captive imo, as bias as it is.

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 104
  • xx.jpg
    xx.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 130
I got a hatchie spencer a while back and he is great. The first week or two he would hide ALL day and only bask when you weren't there, but now he basks and happily eats in front of you, I have only handled him a couple times to take him outside in a outside enclosure for sun etc. He has learned already that I bring food to him so when he sees me he will run over to the tank trying to steal food off me. The breeder I got mine from also has mertens and says they are more skittish then her spencers.

Attachments

• new rep room 003.jpg
    new rep room 003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 72
  • spencer catfood 002.jpg
    spencer catfood 002.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 69
i got a spencers, hes still quite shy however is starting to venture out more and more..... wana get some size on him quickly... i really wana build a sweet indoor avary.
great monitors, stocky and fat.

thanks guys love the picture 2.. i have decide.. getting a spencer and a mertens. im looking at 2 at the moment one with a broken front leg and is 1.5years and a one 1year with no problems. can you tame them up even if they are still quite older. i have only really bought juvs and hatchies..

only good thing with older spencer its a trade for a female ackie of mine WORTH IT???

thanks cam

Considering Spencer hatchies were 300-350 this year and adults older I'd say yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back