Name the skink

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately note...it would be an honer and a privalige

I had to forgo handling the animal due to the fact I had a bredli in my hands at the time. That particular animal has been in captivity for 11 years.
The hand belongs to Tim Milne, one of the original researchers into the pigmy bluey.

For those who don't know about the animal.

The Pigmy or Adelaide blue tongue was not seen for 30 years and was almost marked extinct. In 1992 two herpers stopped and dissected a road kill brown. Surprisingly they recognized the stomach contents as a PBT.
This led to a lot of people searching for the PBT but they couldn't find any. But stomach contents of brown snakes revealed more and kestrels were reported to be seen with them. But still no one could find the animal. Then they tried pit traps and found they could catch the animals , but still couldn?t find where the animals lived (which is embarrassing, in good areas the density is 1000 per heterce, that's one per square meter :shock: ). Anyhow the mystery was finally solved by fitting an animal with a transponder, they live in spider holes, normally evicting the spider via the tail end of the lizard

Excellent! I love these little guys already! Not least of all for their ability to avoid humans for so long :)
Good onya little guys :)

well aren't they just clever little tikes.

I just put up a list of skinks i am after,so hopefully oneday i might be able to add them.

Are they breeding them successfully in zoo's or are there no pairs?
All the best to em.
And the researchers too

There was an article in Monitor about them not too long ago. They're unmistakable little guys :) Even if I've never seen one in the flesh! Have they been bred at the Adelaide zoo yet?

Oh, if you want another challenge, name the skink in my avatar!

I hope they get them breeding. Certainly not something I'd want to keep, but it would be great to have a captive population established.

I saw them at the Adelaide zoo when I was down there in Feb this yr. They really are a coll little thing eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back