New enclosure. From this...to this...to this!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
done with my lizard enclosure and pinched some batterys for my camera of dad tonight so will post some pix tomorrow after i install the last light nothing like yours tho lol just wanted to see how hard it was to knock a wall up

WOW, that looks terrific, great progress shots and easy to follow instructions. It makes it easy for those interested to give it a go. If you only show the end result it can put some people off trying because it looks so good and they think they can't do it. A great thread like this shows it is do-able.
Maybe you should invest in a station wagon ! It sounds like your enjoying you new found creative outlet.

That's the point of setting up the DIY Zone. If I hadn't have come across a few threads on here about other people having a go, I would not have tried. Would have assumed it was too dificult. But it really isn't. And being able to share tips and experiences just makes it so much easier.

I'm reluctantly letting this one go to make space for the next project. :cry::cry::cry:pM me for details.

Cheers

Mick

Quite possibly. Better get in quick before I come to my senses.;)

Need the space.

Such an Epic Enclosure. Well done mate! thats an awesome enclosure and now i want one xD

WOW that is awesome mate. Great work. Are you going into business making enclosures. You have talent.

That's the point of setting up the DIY Zone. If I hadn't have come across a few threads on here about other people having a go, I would not have tried. Would have assumed it was too dificult. But it really isn't. And being able to share tips and experiences just makes it so much easier.

I'm reluctantly letting this one go to make space for the next project. :cry::cry::cry:pM me for details.

Cheers

Mick

You are so right, thats exactly why I pushed so hard to get this (DIY Zone) going, there has been some fantastic threads over the years that just get buried way too quickly and then seem to get lost ...... Its nice to see people attempt something they thought they couldn't do and be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to get a fantastic end product.

Looks absolutely fantastic!

My only little criticism is the placement of the probe. Styrofoam is a fantastic insulator! they use it for vege boxes, eskies and in the walls of older fridges. The many air pockets stop the transfer of heat. I know the test you did showed no difference, but if you add heat or cold to the mix the probe should be insulated. Good news is, with such a large enclosure the chances of the heat source having any effect on the ground temp is slim to none.......

Actually the probes aren't buried in the polystyrene. They are sitting in a pvc tube with just the layers of render over them. So they are not insulated and actually I get very accurate temp readings.

I am (should say was) in the middle of another background for a 4' enclosure for my Bredli, was incorporating a heat cord and tile arrangement for heating as I'm sick of high (and getting higher) power bills. After that I was going to be converting a large glass display cabinet for a new Jungle. But...my partner has become a little intollerant with the growing hodge-podge. So they are now all up for sale.:cry:

It does mean tho that I get to buy some nice matching ones.:)

Mick

very creative, Well done. just inspired me to do something similar

great work, i have just started doing a very similar enclosure, just wondering how you were going with the temps? Have you found a globe with thr right wattage yet? My enclosure measures 80Wx80Dx140H, have you found the ground temps to be low? and what have you used to seal the poly? where is the temp probe located inside? top or middle?

Hi WAG-S. The globe at the moment is a regular 70w reflector (not a red one because I don't heat at night). There is a temp probe in the primary basking site, approx 30cm below the heat lamp. This usually reads about 33c, but my snake can get a bit closer by sitting along the top of the background and the temp there can be around 37-38c. There is also a temp probe about 40-50cm above the floor. Day time room temps are about 24-25c at the moment and about 29-30c over summer. I have hides at floor level and 2/3's up, also many shelves at various heights and they are all well used. As far as sealing the poly-styrene, just the 5 layers of render/PVA mix, 2 coats of 3in1 undercoat sealer and 2 coats of interior wash and wear paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back