night light for python.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanitiser

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi
i have my first snake a great young jungle python and he seems very active in his enclosure at night but when i turn the light on to check him he freezes and looks a bit stessed .
can someone tell the best way to set up a night light so i can watch him as he is very active climbing everywhere really fun to watch but only if he hasnt been disturbed. thanks in advance for any help .

Other people may have a different opinion but I prefer not to have lights at night,

The reason your snake freezes or looks stressed is because it is.
They move around more at night because they feel safer and more comfortable to do so so by providing lighting you are in a way removing their safety blanket.

Not to mention the majority of lights still emit heat of some type and whilst we may not feel or see this heat, the python will.

What I found best was to provide an indirect room light of some kind, something that allows you to see into the enclosure but doesn't shine directly onto or in the enclosure. Over time your snake will grow more confident with both you and the light and you won't have these same issues.

Just be patient and enjoy building that trust.

An idea I want to try one day (night):

Purchase one of those LED adhesive light strips off ebay, a 5w. one that has a dimmer, and you can cut down to length.

Chop it down to a single LED or maybe 2 or 3 to begin - but probably one would do.

Choose colour - people might go blue, I'd stick with a cool white (not warm white) to simulate moonlight.

Bash the dimmer button a million times to min. light output.

If it's too bright still, you could used a plastic diffuser, I'd toy with colouring that in black too if I wanted it darker.

I'll end up doing it one day....

An idea I want to try one day (night):

Purchase one of those LED adhesive light strips off ebay, a 5w. one that has a dimmer, and you can cut down to length.

Chop it down to a single LED or maybe 2 or 3 to begin - but probably one would do.

Choose colour - people might go blue, I'd stick with a cool white (not warm white) to simulate moonlight.

Bash the dimmer button a million times to min. light output.

If it's too bright still, you could used a plastic diffuser, I'd toy with colouring that in black too if I wanted it darker.

I'll end up doing it one day....
thanks . maybe put some cloured or opague plAstic over it . got me thinking too

One idea would be a hue strip. Thousands of colours, themes and levels to choose from. I have mine on a moon setting at the lowest brightness. It comes on as an automation timer when the heat lights go off. Works well. Bhp and carpet aren’t fazed and doesn’t emit heat.

Back