nsw licencing reptile list?????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

markars

Reaction score
What is the story, if you have access to a legally obtained snake, that is on licence and totally lgitimate purchase-

And

The snake does not appear on the list of permitted species? It says you can petition the director general of npws - but has any one ever done this? is this a task like getting john howard to say sorry? will i have to set myself on fire on kevin rudds door step OR does this happen all the time and reasonable requests will be taken and permitted?
I ask this because my interest is swinging to aquatic snakes and i want to try a bockadam
as they have more colour than mcleays and are more active than files.

and

Why does this list have snakes of an impossible to procure nature like the white lipped python and impossible to keep and acquire like the bandy bandy, yet leave out an easily obtained animal.

Your thoughts and advice on the petition of the dec/Npws and aquisition of a bockadam will be greatly appreciated , and thanks for reading my whinge- feel free to add yours on this topic.

This was posted by an ex member who use to work for the NPWS a few years ago. Hopefully this will answer your question.
To answer your other question; a NSW keeper has 2 White lipped pythons on lic. and i have also seen 1 or 2 bandy bandys for sale a few years back on HerpTrader i think it was...but that doesnt answer your other question on why they leave out some easily obtainable animals.

As of the 23 November 2004 applications to classify previously unclassified species of reptiles in NSW will no longer have to await the deliberations of the Native Animal Keepers Consultative Committee (NAKCC).

Any species of Australian reptile, which had not specifically been classified in the NSW reptile Keepers Licensing System (Class 1, Class 2, or Prohibited) will automatically fall into Class 2 should specimens become available to private keepers from any legal source.

The only species that have been classified as Prohibited inNSW are crocodiles and marine reptiles (marine turtles and sea-snakes) that have been prohibited by government directive from possession in private collections in NSW. This restriction is not a Department of Environmental and Conservation (NPWS) initiative and is therefore not open to debate with DEC.

All unclassified venomous species will be placed in Class 2 Category 1 or Category 2 depending on the highest categorisation already existing for other members of its genus or other close relatives. Any subsequent proposal to downgrade classification (from Class 2 to Class 1 or from Class 2 Category 2 to Class 2 category 1) will still be subject to determination by the NAKCC. In such cases the proponent will be required to submit a detailed submission to justify the downgrading.

Generally so long as the animal is legally obtained there shouldn't be a problem. I imported several acanthopis wellsi from WA and it wasn't too much of a problem, they did ask a few questions and had to verify the source of the animals but eventually didn't have a problem with allowing me to obtain them

Any species of Australian reptile, which had not specifically been classified in the NSW reptile Keepers Licensing System (Class 1, Class 2, or Prohibited) will automatically fall into Class 2 should specimens become available to private keepers from any legal source

Thanks guys for your replys- does thant mean that i just throw the animals name on the import permit and it just becomes a class two animal or do i have to make an application for the animal frst.

Secondly, how come this guy with the two white lipped pythons ,which i assume were claimed under the amnesty has not been raped and pillaged by the snake ranch and others like them and we are not flooded with "hetro, hypo, mellanistic, albino ,inbred ,locality pure blah bah , freak" white lips- White lips are up there with oenpellies in the "every one wants n no-one can get" class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back