Oenpelli Python may be on the market in our life times

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Several years away is good, should have the mortgage paid off by then.

Do the Aboriginal people of NT own the Oenpelli pythons? That makes me feel very much like a second class citizen in this country.

Do you mind if I ask why people want them so badly? Is it just because we can't have them?

Do you mind if I ask why people want them so badly? Is it just because we can't have them?

Yes, that's the only reason. They are not spectacular looking snakes, difficult to keep and breed but they sure would bring good money.

IMO, the harvested snakes should stay in NT, in the hands of a person capable and qualified to do base-line research and publish a paper or two before any dispersal of CB progeny to other keepers.

Last edited:
IMO, the harvested snakes should stay in the NT, in the hands of a person capable and qualified to do base-line research and publish a paper or two before any dispersal of CB progeny to other keepers.
Could not agree more but i think their value will just be to big an incentive to start selling early.
I am just hoping i get to see one of these mythicol animals in the flesh oneday in someones collection.
Be a long time before they will ever be in my price range and a lot longer before they are in my wife's price range and i doubt i can hide that much money from her...

IMO, the harvested snakes should stay in NT, in the hands of a person capable and qualified to do base-line research and publish a paper or two before any dispersal of CB progeny to other keepers.

I agree with you there michael.

it would be interesting to see them in the flesh. anyone have any ideas who would be the front runner for the collection? john wigel? maybe??

Gavin Bedford & Greg Miles I believe, both N Territorians.

I just had to look up a picture on the net to know what they even looked like.

Geeze...they look like a giant version of a Spotted python.
Bit of a let down really. :(

Be a long time before they will ever be in my price range and a lot longer before they are in my wife's price range and i doubt i can hide that much money from her...

haha.. Is'nt that the truth.
I agree Waterrat . Will keep those with spare cash getting one just to say I've got a snake that reportedly gets bigger than an Olive
Somethings should stay off limits

I doubt that. RSPs have become run-of-the-mill snakes in a very few years, and they weren't even known to science thirty years ago. They have, like most reptiles, suffered a price plummet in the past 2 years. The Oenpelli will be the same, and like scrubbies, such a large snake will only be sold into a limited market.

The market for reptiles has changed massively in the past 2-3 years.

Jamie

I do no know much about this animal.
Is it classed as 'endangered' in it's limited range or is nobody really sure ?

There were genuine concerns within the last few years that the animal may have become extinct, so hearing they may be being bred privately is excellent news. Personally these are the top of my wishlist, considering the massive variation in colouration reported over the years.

There were genuine concerns within the last few years that the animal may have become extinct, so hearing they may be being bred privately is excellent news. Personally these are the top of my wishlist, considering the massive variation in colouration reported over the years.

I find that amusing, i know quite a few who have found them it very accessible areas in recent years, without looking hard at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back