Outdoor Turtle Pond Setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnie&Clyde77

Reaction score
I have 2 oblong turtles who I am looking to get out of their 500L tank and into a pond so they can reach their potential and I have a lot of questions 😂

I’m looking for something portable in case we move house down the line. I was thinking of getting an aquaculture water tank?
I am wondering if it should be in full sun or covered in a patio? Does it need direct sunlight or is indirect okay? When I take them out to get their vitamin D they seem to run away from the sun

If I get something deep like a water tank, how do I allow them to bask? Do I need to make the substrate like a hill so they can climb out? They use their basking platforms in their tank but I don’t think they would figure out how to use a log for a while heh
Any suggestions on how to incorporate a land area without digging into the ground?

Food wise, is it best to start fish colonies in the pond? I take them out to feed them at the moment (if they’re not eating fish) but I know I won’t be able to catch them in a pond

If I stop handling them like I am now, will they turn aggressive? They are nearly 10 years old and still a bit snappy as is haha

And what should I use to filter it? I currently have an external canister filter (fluval 600) in my tank, I’m tipping I can’t use that?

I’ve just gotten tank knowledge down pat and now I need to transfer to pond knowledge so any tips are welcome!

Back