Quality feeding tongs/forceps recommendations

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltyballs

Not so new Member
Reaction score
So I find myself needing another pair of tongs or forceps for feeding snakes, I prefer forceps for feeding as they hold larger rats better, just wondering where a good place to get large ones that hold well. I find the ones at any pet shop are hot garbage. I want something 50cm or so

So any brands to keep my eye out for? Or a shop near Brisbane that has quality stuff? Or website. Anything really,

Forceps are definitely better than tongs,I got a big pair to feed my Lacies but now we use them to feed the snakes as well.
You'd be better off looking at medical supply places or maybe even chemists, as you say petshops are full of ****e.
Unfortunately the place I got mine from was a 1 off sample at a shop that closed down soon after.

Forceps are definitely better than tongs,I got a big pair to feed my Lacies but now we use them to feed the snakes as well.
You'd be better off looking at medical supply places or maybe even chemists, as you say petshops are full of ****e.
Unfortunately the place I got mine from was a 1 off sample at a shop that closed down soon after.
The medical grade ones would definitely be the go but beware the ‘single use’. We used to get a load of those donated to the vet clinic from the local hospital. There’s a reason they are single use 😕 That said, I’m sure they chuck away quality gear as soon as it has a spot on it. Might be worth checking.

So I find myself needing another pair of tongs or forceps for feeding snakes, I prefer forceps for feeding as they hold larger rats better, just wondering where a good place to get large ones that hold well. I find the ones at any pet shop are hot garbage. I want something 50cm or so

So any brands to keep my eye out for? Or a shop near Brisbane that has quality stuff? Or website. Anything really,
Is it the grip that’s a problem?

The medical grade ones would definitely be the go but beware the ‘single use’. We used to get a load of those donated to the vet clinic from the local hospital. There’s a reason they are single use 😕 That said, I’m sure they chuck away quality gear as soon as it has a spot on it. Might be worth checking.

Is it the grip that’s a problem?
Okay single use I get with human surgical procedures ( although we used to clean them in the autoclave) but we are talking about feeding reptiles here. There is no need for over the top paranoia . I wash mine in hot soapy water after every feed (or F10), I am not transferring infectious diseases here, I am only feeding rodents out. If the reptile had infectious diseases it wouldn't transfer to the equipment anyway.
If you can get any "throw away " equipment just wash it and use it again and again. EDIT metal only, not plastic

i just use 20cm snakehandler feeding tongs... they havent lost their grip strength in over 6 years

Okay single use I get with human surgical procedures ( although we used to clean them in the autoclave) but we are talking about feeding reptiles here. There is no need for over the top paranoia . I wash mine in hot soapy water after every feed (or F10), I am not transferring infectious diseases here, I am only feeding rodents out. If the reptile had infectious diseases it wouldn't transfer to the equipment anyway.
If you can get any "throw away " equipment just wash it and use it again and again. EDIT metal only, not plastic
What I meant was the single use ones are super flimsy, not designed to be used over and over.

Back