sexing Burtons& Short tailed monitors

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

licky

Reaction score
Does anyone know a reliable sexing technique for hatchy burtons?
Apparently adults can be visually sexed, as males are shorter in length then females of same age. But havent seen anything to say they have a reliable sexing technique for hatcho's.
Also curious as to whether people have breeding pairs or trio's within an enclosure, how they go at feeding, and general socializing.
Is the only proper way to sex short tail monitors to xray?

cheers mike

Hi Mike,

You should be able to sex your Burton's visually by searching for the 'spur' under the hind limb, but this would be a very delicate procedure with a hatchling.

You can sex Short-Tailed Monitors using Hemipenal Transillumination as detailed here - http://varanidae.org/Vol3_No1_Brown.pdf

I have no idea on how to sex burtons or short tailed moniters, but I would love to see some pics! I love Burtons and have been looking for someone on this site who owns them so I could ask some questions!
What are they like as pets?
Do they handle well?
What is their favourite food?
How big an enclosure do you need to keep a pair?
What kind of substrate do you use?

I have no idea on how to sex burtons or short tailed moniters, but I would love to see some pics! I love Burtons and have been looking for someone on this site who owns them so I could ask some questions!
What are they like as pets?
Do they handle well?
What is their favourite food?
How big an enclosure do you need to keep a pair?
What kind of substrate do you use?

Get in contact with Dr Danny Brown - Geckodan on this site.

They are not an easy lizard to keep in captivity as they are a skink feeder - however some have managed to get them onto pinky mice with A LOT of work involved.

Cheers Jonno for that article, great sexing technique.
Unfortunately for myself i dont possess either of these Lizards, but i'm am in the market down the track. I just dont wanna get stuck with two males when picking hatchies.

From the accounts I've read, it seems Burtons will take Asian house Gecko's very readily, though im not sure of the illegalities of this methods.

still waiting on people opinions as to keeping more then one Burton per enclosure.

cheers mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back