skin torn off

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by affroalex
i have been through it a couple of times and so has my dad, all we can think of is that she tried to squeeze out

Hmmm if thats the case buddy hand in your licence aye. If you can't be bothered to fix a serious problem like that after the first time your pet has health issues then you shouldn't be keeping them IMO. Find the source and remove it.
I think he means that he and his dad inspected the enclosure a few times, not that the snake got out a few times.

But yeah, that injury looks horrific. Take it to a vet ASAP! Please let us know how the snake is doing too.

Is this just a gee up or what? It all sounds suss to me.
Testing out the new "herp help rule" trying to get a few infractions passed out perhaps?

Hmmm if thats the case buddy hand in your licence aye. If you can't be bothered to fix a serious problem like that after the first time your pet has health issues then you shouldn't be keeping them IMO. Find the source and remove it.

we went through to see what she could of done it on, that has nothing to do with the way my animals are kept. of course we would fix a problem like that.

Not tryin to be rude but you shouldve called a vet the first time you saw her wound exposed like that... Every vet goes through something like that no matter if they arent a herp vet they dont need to be to tend to a wound like that.... But thats JMO.... Good luck with her

Not tryin to be rude but you shouldve called a vet the first time you saw her wound exposed like that... Every vet goes through something like that no matter if they arent a herp vet they dont need to be to tend to a wound like that.... But thats JMO.... Good luck with her

our local vet here doesnt have an after hours number and there the only vet here.

Bugga I think all vets need an after hours number, dont call the vets this morn go in straight away as soon as you know the vet is open.. Good luck with it all hope she comes out well :)

hi all

we took her to the local vet thismorninghe stitched her up. he rang one of the vets in townsville and said it wasnt necasary to stitch it up but it would heal quicker and wouldnt leave such a big scar.

I use betadine ointment for my snake when he went and wrapped himself and got a burn from the light cage or just clean with warm salty water... But with every shed the scar will end up fading away good to know shes ok :)

good luck with her! glad to hear your local vet was able to stitch her up after getting some advice. please keep us updated :)

Good to hear that you've taken her to the vet & she seems ok sofar. I hope they gave you antibiotics.
My local vet doesn't advertise an emergency number either, but if you ring the surgery number after hours, they tell you the emergency number (their mobile)on the messagebank. If you didn't ask them when you were there I'd be ringing them back up & asking for an emergency number for future reference. It doesn't hurt to try.
Please next time don't hesitate in thinking whether to take her (or any other animal in that case) to the vet. We take on the responsibility to make sure that they are well looked after and healthy.
If they can't rely on us, who can they count on?
Good luck & hope she makes a full recovery.

Good news mate.
Sorry about earlier, I got the impression that you have experienced the wounds several times (oops at how I read your post).

Last edited:
Alex, the python should be fine, keep an eye out for any swelling over the next week. Do not put her back into the old cage until you find out what happened, or it will probably happen again. There is a great vet in Cairns for reptiles, Marlin Coast Vets. Calling them is worth it next time you're stuck. Some of the vets in Townsville are OK, Marlin Coast Vets could probably suggest one next time.

Keep your snake on clean newspaper with a tiny water bowl until it is healed.

I'm glad she's getting better, poor darling!!! It's stupid to think that a place such as Townsville doesn't have any reptile vets. After all, they must get alot of wild snakes cases come in... Perhaps James Cook Uni has someone there who knows their stuff? just for next time something happens...but hopefully you won't need a vet for a very very long time!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back