Snake Skin ID ...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
red

very large ventral scales... and no apparent pattern hmm as bucky said head and scale count and we should end up with an answer:)

i was thinking red belly too noah

the only other python in our area is a diamond but its not a python skin u can tell by the long ventral scales im pretty sure its arbb.

Doing a scale count on the visible scales gives me a number of 16-17. M.spilota has a scale count of 40-65 so I think we can safely discount a python. P. porphyriacus has a mid-scale count of 17 which puts it in the ballpark (notice I am NOT claiming its defiantly a RBBS from the evidence as many other species fall with in the range). If possible can we see a photo of the underside of the animals tail, up to and including the anal scales. The huge ventral scales suggest a terrestrial snake.

Red Belly would be a safe bet.
The skin is very dark, so the snake would be or very close to black, but a tell tale sign is the two tones in the ventrals.
Look at the sides and see the black? Most RBBS have black on their ventrals (some more than others, a recent thread showed a RBBS almost completely black. All my RBBS ar 50/50) The clearer parts on the skin will be where the belly is red.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back