Views on venomoids

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kim_boogie

Reaction score
I am currently writing an expository as part of my year 12 english, arguing whether or not snakes should be de-venomised and would like to hear some of the different views people have on the issue.

Thanx

im sure you will get a few a strong opinions here...

It is mutalation of an animal and animal cruelty

I think this may be a banned topic here, you might be best off just PMing people about it

I'm against it, people say they do it so it's "safe", but that's what snake pits are for.
They're simply mutilating them for extra cash.
strongly against.

I think this may be a banned topic here, you might be best off just PMing people about it

It is not a banned topic, the person that is most noted for doing it is, we do not want his name mentioned. The thread will be closed of course if it starts becoming uncivil.
I personally have no idea how someone could even think of doing such a thing.
You should not be keeping these animals in captivity if you cannot cope/deal with them being venomous. Use something that is called 'commonsense'.

if you're looking for arguments from both sides, doubt anyone is going to post a pro venomoid post cause that's just like painting a target mark on your head (or username)

if you're looking for arguments from both sides, doubt anyone is going to post a pro venomoid post cause that's just like painting a target mark on your head (or username)

How can there be other side?
What I would like to know is - what does the law has to say.
If there are restrictions (in some states) on cross-breeding, morphing and who knows what, how can someone own these freaky snakes and use them to make living?

Kim, perhaps you could make enquiry with the Victorian wildlife authorities and ask them why this situation is being tolerated, e.i. venomoids being on a Licence. Is there such category? Please let us know if you get any sensible answer from them.

Mind you, it's not an isolated case here, I have seen de-fanged (and glands removed) Gaboon vipers for sale at one of the big Expos in Europe.

I'm for it, you can free handle your elapids and show how tough you are, without anyone ever knowing. :lol:

It is not a banned topic, the person that is most noted for doing it is, we do not want his name mentioned. The thread will be closed of course if it starts becoming uncivil.
I personally have no idea how someone could even think of doing such a thing.
You should not be keeping these animals in captivity if you cannot cope/deal with them being venomous. Use something that is called 'commonsense'.

Ok thanks Fay, just didn't want them getting in trouble if it was :)

I don't like the idea, it's cruel and if you wanted to be 'safe' why touch them at all? It's just another way of man trying to make things better and screwing things up in the process. I think if you want to display vens but aren't confident doing so without this, you probably shouldn't have them. If they choose to have it done, don't tell anyone. Is there any reason the public need to know it's been done?

it is wrong in every sense. I want to one day get a rbb but i will wait till my kids have grown up and moved out first. Long wait as my youngest is 3 but i would rather wait than mutilate a poor creature for simply being itself.

Ok well there is another side to it:
Demonstrators and other professionals have to operate in a safe manner, under OH&S there may be an argument for it, the risk minimization for a professional demonstrating such animals would definitely reduce the insurance bill and liability, if the procedure was legal in Australia, however as the operation is of no medical benefit to the animal, it is a violation of the Veterinary Practices Act, thus cannot be done.

Demonstrators also can ensure that all the staff are appropriately trained to work with venomous snakes, like any other dangerous jobs you need to ensure your staff are adequately trained to perform the tasks they are set to reduce the risk of harm. Working at heights, working in confined spaces etc all have risks associated, hence a person must be trained to work in them. So risk minimization in the case of demonstrators is to ensure that all staff working with venomous snakes have received the most appropriate training, not the modification of the animals that they wish to demonstrate.

So in Australia there is no need to have this procedure done on a snake, the other issues are that people may start to treat the snakes in a different manner, showing it in a manner which gives others a false perception of the snake, people are often guided by what they see, not what they hear...."don't do this at home kids..."

In terms of private keeping, I see no need for it at all, learn to keep the animals you own without having to modify the animal!

Im arguing against it, and sorry if i've angered anyone or if it is a banned topic but thanks everyone for your posts and views it's been a great help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back