Water Dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

africancichlidau

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I purchased a trio of water dragons today and was wondering if anyone had some tips etc on keeping them? I know all the basics but wondered if any experienced keepers had any advice on making them more comfortable that just comfortable :)

only tip i remember from mine was a branch over their water dish, as they like to hang over it, (being in the wild their only way of escape, it semi sorta makes sense :S )

cheers

Alot of dragons will run into glass, they can't see it. I can't say any of mine have ever hurt themselves but i don't keep water dragons so maybe they are worse than others.

essays deleted, any ?'s just email me off post, wouldn't want to share too much info.

Thanks for all the tips guys and gals :) and for the essay Meg :) So what you are all saying is that they basically only need the basics to keep them happy. So I guess there's not much point in buying them the home theatre system I was thinking of :) They will be kept in the reptile room once they are out of quarantine. Yes, guys and gals, I did learn my lesson :)

give em a nice big water dish use breeders choice mine ate a piece it didnt matter have a high temperature backing spot and a few nice big branches and HEAPS OF FOOD mine is a monster its a hatchling that has like 3 woodies a day also light gaurds are a must mine burnt its tip of tail before and it fell off i didnt know that dragons could do this but his tail grew back he lost about 2cm and it is totakky black now they love high temperatures

oh yeah and mealworms kill em so feed woodies or crickets instead they also love to chase moths around and eat em

my water dragons are about 6 months old and are in a 60 cm by 30 cm plastic tank . They have the waterbowl in the warm end that is heated by a heatpad. mine eat about 12 small crickets daily.

BC!!!!!!! lol :p

i used to use aquarium gravel, seemed to work well but have since been told its not too great an idea, maybe repti-sand etc would be good. astro-turf or good ol news paper (though it is rather boring) personally i`d go with sand, looks fabbo!!!

You cant go past batswings mulch for substrate ol boy!

Thanks again guys and gal :) I have been advised by a reliable source that aquarium gravel is the way to go. Yes I mentioned Euchi-Mulch I think Pinkster but don't want to use it for my water Dragons. They are about 48 - 50 cm at the moment so don't think I'll have impaction problems. thanks for your help ppls :)

i use breeders choice cat litter for substrade for my water dragons its recycled phone books (so they say on the packet) my eastern water dragons are hatchlings so im still learning about them myself so i cant give any real imformation too you.... sorry.. :(

depending of they are adults or hatchling/yearlings.
I currently keep 7 gippsland waterdragons in an outdoor pit with waterfall pond and overhanging branches.

hatchlins i keep in a 5 ft tank half water half land with filter.
run a hot spot on the land side and rock in the water so they can get in and out.

The bigger the cage the better use lots of live or fake plants my cage is 4.5ft high 2 levels, 5.5ft long and 30in deep with a pond and lots of plants see my album for a better idea

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back