Winter Heating

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Could someone explain to me where we get the "normal" winter heating regime from? I know there are a couple of different ways to go about it but mostly it seems that people tend to lower the number of hours that heat/light is provided but still have their hot spots quite warm or lower it but still keep it above ambient.
As an example, I was reading about Jungles in "The Bible". I am cooling mine for the first time this year so thought I should see what is suggested in there. I don't have it with me but it goes something like "...heat can be reduced or the number of hours heat is offered may be reduced but the hot spot must reach 32C...". Now, looking at the weather, one notices that North Queensland (e.g. Atherton and Cairns) is only reaching low-mid 20s. So if this is the case, where does the 32 come from?
I see a similar thing with animals like Lacies and Diamonds. They come from around my area which is getting down to 0 and even negatives further up the mountains. So why can't people who own these animals let them get down this low (lots of people who have them outside talk about bringing them in for the winter or providing a heated box)?
Is it something to do with the fact that, in the wild, they are able to find warm refuges and aren't subjected to these freezing temps (this wouldn't explain the first point with the Jungles though) or is it because keepers are too scared to let them get this low or something that I am just completely overlooking due to my own ignorance of the natural environments of these animals?

I know some people like to keep them warmer over winter so they can continue feeding them. From all the stuff I've read they bask in the morning to get warm then just ball up somewhere to try and hold the heat. If you aren't feeding them then it would definitely be safe (and recommended depending who you talk to and what species) to drop the temps a little bit. My jungles are kept to 32 of a day and 25ish of a night. Diamonds are 25-30 for 8 hours of a day then 15ish at night.

Hey Sax, good question. The way I interpret this is "micro habitats":)! A good local example that I can think of is , even though ambient temps up here (New England Tablelands) are 10-15 max during the day, my local RBB's and Copperheads are still visible during daylight hours as they find northerly facing rockwalls along creeklines (RBBs) or patches of granite/ fallen timber amongst heavy grasses which are out of the wind and able to absorbe most available sunlight. Out of interest, I often take my temp gun on herp trips and places such as these are often 10-15 C above ambients! So basically, in a captive situation, by turning on your basking lamp for a few hours daily, what your supplying is a suitable micro-habitat, something which is always avilable to many reptiles in a wild situation to some degree or another, throughout the year.

I've always had problems keeping my Juvies/hatchlings in feeding mode over the cooler months as, despite offering suitable ambients and hot spots, some will still go off food automatically. It's like an inbuilt clock. Interestingly, I've found it's always females that will do this.

Last edited by a moderator:
good point about the rock walls,...

another thought i was having when i was thinking about the best diamond cooling temp, was that they wouldnt actually ever lie in the open where the temps ate 0-5C overnight, it would always be warmer in leaf litter under big rocks,...i assume that would be warmish, kinda like a compost bin but to a lesser degree,....

Yeah agreed. In the wild they have a much better range of habitat to choose from. whereis we can only provide hot,cold and somewhere inbetween. Like IV said I was surprised to find a couple of tigers on the road the other day, 19degrees outside but when I took surface temps of the road they were in the mid to high 20s range.

Ah very nice answers all. I thought basking may have had something to do with it (especially with animals that tend to have high levels of black colouration). Thanks very much

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back