White Lipped Tree Frog tadpole pictures

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Theen

Reaction score
This is the first picture as a test on uploading images.

Biggies_with_ruler.jpg

Hi everyone,

I am rather excited to find that my White Lipped Tree Frog (litoria infrafrenata) tadpoles have sprouted legs - they look like they are wearing tiny little leopard print bike shorts!

I have 7 altogether and there are 2 different-looking sorts:
- 4 spotty ones -- dark and speckly, 3 big 1 small. Big ones about 1cm body length, crinkly tail, back legs. Small one about 0.75cm body length with limb bud.
- 3 milky ones -- pale colour at intermediate size. Only 1 has a limb bud.

I've had them for over 4 weeks and apart from getting bigger, nothing has happened till now. 2 days ago, some of them had limb buds. I was starting to wonder if maybe White Lips stay tadpoles for a long time, like months maybe. I found something written by a Geelong pet shop owner who get things moving along by heating the water to 30C (http://www.reefandriver.com.au/raising_infrafrenata_tadpoles.htm).

However, advice from "meshe" got me thinking that maybe force-growing might cause the smaller ones not to make it. Also "tadpoles" cautions that White Lips have a higher than usual mortality rate. So I was going to play it slow and steady and continue with room temp water (21C).

Now that they are starting to morph, fingers crossed!

Leggy.jpg

Milky.jpg

Eating.jpg

Last edited:
good on you!
We have had so many spawnings this season, (id say around ten) nut none have been fertile!
I'd live to know why...! In the past we have always kept ours in a heated tank and have had no trouble raising the majority of those which made it to the tadpole stage....
good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back