Rodent smell

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason2

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Just after some suggestions.
We live in a high set house, mainly open underneath and this is where I keep our rodents.
Even though we use a low salt organic food and the cages are cleaned ect each week there is still is still a smell.

Now wanting to keep the cheese and kisses happy and the neighbors on side I need to find an easy and cheap way to kill the smell

I've tried the smelly blocks but they don't last long and are not cheap.

A though I've had is maybe there are some sort of plants ect I can put in hanging baskets on the outside house posts.

Has anyone solved this problem??????????

Yes, I saw the post the other day about carbon filters, but this is not an enclosed room, a good part of the downstairs area just has slates on the outside.

Only 1 male per breeding cage, the growing up cages get cleaned twice weekly.

yeah flowing air through the room is the main thing my rodent rooms stinks over night so in the morning i open the door at the back and front of the room so there is air flow makes a big difference

If you want strong smelling plants to cover it up, then star jasmine might be an idea. It'll cover a large area, but I'm not sure when it flowers. But it's more of a vine rather than something you can stick in a hanging pot.

get rats instead and how hot does it get under there

it mite be two hot

dan

Yeah I agree,
Rats don't really smell at all.
I had 30 rats and 5 mice once and I swear one male mouse would smell worse that the 30 rats put together!!

A friend of mine used lucerne pellets as substrate in her rat cages she claimed it absorbed the smell
but I have never used them

I've heard lucerne chaff also works?
Vanilla in their water is supposed to help.
But in reality, you cannot beat using bigger tubs, or less mice per tub or clean 2 or 3 times a week.
I've made my own tubs and 1.4 mice in a 70L and there is virtually no smell at the end of the week.

Yeah magpie I use lucerne hay and its better then anything else Ive tried. Sometimes at the end of the week (ocasionaly even two when Im slack) still no smell! Useing smell to test if it needs changing cant be used anymore...got to go by visual or just do it weekly.
Tip...I get floor sweepings from the tray of the Hay truck when it arrives at the produce store. Very cheap compared to bales.

Star Jasmine takes a year or two to grow - I have had mine for a year and it has just started to grow a new shoot every couple of weeks. You could try gardenias or night jessamine but they aren't good as hanging pot plants.
I sometimes use lucrene pellets or lucerne kitty litter which is good except my bf is allergic to it. It works well at covering the smell - as long as the smell of the lucerne doesn't bother you.

another way to help with the smell is cleaning more than once a week.

pretty sure he means 1 male and 4 females, althought the way it was typed it does sound messy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back