Neighbour Hood Cat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not saying at all they don't kill wildlife, I know they kill huge amounts, thats why I agree with killing them, but so many people have this instant "I hate cats because they kill wildlife" view (fair enough) but foxes actually kill more, and compared to the whole feral cat debate, they hardly get a mention.

Both are bad, just seems that cats get more bad press.

Interesting thread - thanks slothhead - love ya work bro - keep it up.

I didn't read all two pages, but I assume the trapping is fully humane?

If the cats aren't claimed will they be put down?

I got really upset one night when a friend let her cat catch a GTF and she just laughed and patted it. I threw a spaz but her reaction was... "It's only nature, it's what happens..." Needless to say I don't speak to her anymore even after trying to educate her.

You need to redefine what feral means SlothHead - if it's outside without supervision by its owner, it's feral. They obviously don't care about their pet OR the animals it kills and harms, so why should you? Catch it, euthanise it humanely and they probably won't even notice it's gone for a week.

Does that mean if a dog is sitting out on a driveway when the owner is inside it's feral?

I think that is mostly down to the fact that very few people keep foxes as pets, cats are 'targetted' because they are household pets and unfortunately kept by millions of people around the country. Now I should add as a cat hater I have NO issue at all with responsible cat owners that keep their cats inside or in cages outside.

Great work, this approach rather then attacking the animal is very much directed at the owners. It is their responsibility to ensure their cat is not allowed to roam at night.

I love a good sheep thread, who has the popcorn? :p

The cats in my area aren't out too often, with the nest of magpies in the fauna park just behind me, and the young not venturing too far, we have at least seven large birds always swooping. These guys rule the area better than the baldy gang from The Wanderers. Even the cockatoos that used to come and annoy my fig tree don't bother least they get beaten up by the pack.

I think cats should be aloud to roam my cat is really nice.
when we turned our compust lots of mice ran everywhere and we wanted tiger(our cats name) to kill them, but no he jkust sat there looking at us going "what do you want me to do" sort of look.
and birds kill millions of snakes and rats every year but none gives a dam do they, o why should birds be cared for?
not trying to say that it was wrong of you to catch it but if it's not hurting you leave it be.

Thats nature....

Cats are an introduced pest

You are going about it the right way slothhead, good on you.
And just to even it out for all the 'what about the foxes' people, we are on 2.5 acres and have 'disposed' of a few foxes over the past few years with lead poisoning. The foxes were on our property, sniffing around our chooks (that were locked up) so thats enough reason for me. I too feel sorry for the introduced species, its not their fault etc but we have to look after our own natives first.

Well Done Slothhead

All I can say is "WELL DONE SLOTHHEAD".
Living in Tindal (Katherine) feral cats are nothing but trouble. I have owned cats, therefore am not a "pure blood" cat hater. Full credit to the way you have handled the process of having these cats returned to their now slightly poorer owners. Well done...:D

Good on you Slothead, you went about it the right way. Getting cat traps and catching any on your property and then handing them over to the ranger is great. :)

I destest cat owners who let their cats roam, dogs on the loose are annoying too.

I have several cats, but they are inside cats, and they have an outdoor enclosure as well, where they can be outside, but safe and the wildlife is also safe.

What I dont agree with is these people who think they can kill any cat that they see loose.:shock:

It could be someones pet who got out accidentally, so I would hate to think that one of mine could be killed by some fanatical cat hater. (oh and if I found out who did it, there would be hell to pay, I can assure you of that)

Not all cats are hunters, one of mine is way too lazy to do anything much at all...she wont even bat an eyelid when a bird flies past, she will sit in the sun (in her enclosure) and sleep all day long. :p

MMMMMM LOOK AT THE WHO HAAAAAAAA about the cats yet justify killing snakes cause why YOUR HUMAN?????RBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back