Neighbour Hood Cat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlothHead

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Last night i put out a cat trap, and well, awoke this morning at 5 to the howl of a cat.

One down probably 3 to go.

hopefully the owners of these animals will start to take some responsibility for them and stop letting them roam the neighbourhood, well i guess that one wont be, but yeah.

Here we are again, big tuff human picking on small cats. Why don’t we all get together and kill, harm or whatever else to everything small and furry. Cats, Dogs, Rodents, macro pods just because we don’t like them. Just for the hell of it lets kill snakes and lizard as well. Being a reptile career I can honestly say that 80% of the reptiles we care for were attacked by dogs but nobody ever complains about them.

What a well dignified response you gave there.

Funny how it is the human picking on the cat, when the cat is roaming the neighbourhood, what are the current stats.

Cats left to roam at night kill on average 60 native birds a year. That doesnt go into the reptiles etc.

Not real sure why you are wanting to kill everything small and fury.. but interesting take on it.

Also not real sure where in my post i actually say i dont like cats

Any way

Grimberry,

I kept it inside locked in the laundry with some food and water until the ranger got here this morning.
They take them back to the RSPCA and the owner has a nice little fine to pay.
Hopefully it was micro chipped as the collar didnt have any marks on it.

I gues the more humane thing to do as Moth would prefer would to leave cats to roam the neighbourhood, to kill native wildlife, and eventually be hit by a car.

So pretty sure what i did was the right way to go about it.

I dont think killing the animal would achieve a thing. The owner would just think they lost the animal and then go and get another one, which therefore drives the demand up for the cats and compounds the problem further. This way the owner will get a bill for it and think before they let it out to roam the neighbourhood.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on ya sloth! Good to see people taking action against the feral cats going around killing everything ;) Also you couldn't have done it in a better way :)

Nice one SlothHead.

And MOTH, as for dogs killing native wildlife - last time I checked there weren't all that many dogs roaming the street in my neighbourhood. Why is that dogs must be contained in their own backyard, and yet cats are free to roam the streets and kill whatever they come across?

It's got nothing to do with liking or disliking cats.

Your more kind than me SlothHead, all cats in our yard are upon capture, immediately and humanly euthanased. I actually like cats but they are absolute menaces when roaming around free.
Here in Port Hedland, we have absolutely no council bylaws restricting how people control these animals and people abuse this situation.

I think cats should be aloud to roam my cat is really nice.
when we turned our compust lots of mice ran everywhere and we wanted tiger(our cats name) to kill them, but no he jkust sat there looking at us going "what do you want me to do" sort of look.
and birds kill millions of snakes and rats every year but none gives a dam do they, o why should birds be cared for?
not trying to say that it was wrong of you to catch it but if it's not hurting you leave it be.

Willia6, you are way off there champ. We arent talking about native birds killing native snakes. If a kookaburra catches a snake and flies off to feed its young, then good on it.

We are talking about an introduce species, i.e. a non native animal that kills wildlife.

No the cat wont hurt me , but it does hurt native wildlife and is completely irresponsible pet ownership. The owner needs to be held accountable, there are plenty of cats splattered on the main road near here, and it isnt the cats fault that the owner let it out and it got ran over.

So there are many issues, but you are seriously way off the mark.

good on you sloth head, all the owners who keep cats against the council rules in our street are now scared beacuse a few weeks ago when me and my dad went herping down the reserve, 50 m from our house we found a big bugger of a diamond eating a massive black cat. now the 2-3 cat owner's in our street have theirs lock up inside for the fear of losing their pet and i also mentioned if i ever found it wandering around i would catch it and call the ranger to remove it. hope you catch the other cats sloth head

I think cats should be aloud to roam my cat is really nice.
when we turned our compust lots of mice ran everywhere and we wanted tiger(our cats name) to kill them, but no he jkust sat there looking at us going "what do you want me to do" sort of look.
and birds kill millions of snakes and rats every year but none gives a dam do they, o why should birds be cared for?
not trying to say that it was wrong of you to catch it but if it's not hurting you leave it be.

Lucky you dont live next to me, itd be the exhaust pipe for your cat and poisoned donuts for you :lol:

Don't worry about the detractors SlothHead - if it's outside and it's feral, catch it and euthanise it. Cane toads, pigeons, cats, dogs, Asian House Geckos, foxes...like John Weigel says - if it's feral, it's in peril!

Not eradicating feral animals because it's not "their fault" is about as misguided as doing snake call outs for free.

There is a population of feral cats that live in the rocks near me (I think it was Henley Beach). The locals keep feeing them, and I think there are about 15 now. Someone suggested that they all be shot (quickly and humanely) now all the cat activist groups are saying it's illegal and not right.

Now I love cats, infact I love ALL animals, and it's not the cats fault that they are feral, but I am definitely in favour of them being killed, it's kinder for them as they don't have to beg for food and live in some pretty rough conditions, and it's kinder for the environment for obvious reasons.

But I think before a cat is just killed, the RSPCA should be called, and then if it isn't claimed, let them put it down humanely. Any feral animal should be put down humanely.

And it's a massive misconception that feral cats kills a lot of native wildlife, infact it is foxes that do the majority of the damage (Tim Flannery - New Nature (book)).

The cats around here arent feral, they have collars, the neighbours must think that their property extends up and down the street and so their cats should be allowed to wander.

good job sloth head. these people that let cats roam need to be taught a lesson.it is not the animals fault its owner is an ignorant moron. :)

And it's a massive misconception that feral cats kills a lot of native wildlife, infact it is foxes that do the majority of the damage (Tim Flannery - New Nature (book)).

No misconception, cats DO kill a hell of a lot of wildlife. What do you think they eat in the Pilbara? Spinifex? Both ferals are destructive, the arguement that some are more destructive than others is pointless.

Jordan

Some people don't let there cat inside. once we had a nabour that didn't let there cat inside and it came and ate our cats food.
we stoped feeding it and it stoped coming.
you can't keep a young cat out you could need very high fences and no trees.
and anyway there not like dogs.

they dig a hole and **** in it then burry it so you ndon't walk in it.
they don't attack humans if tthere domestic.
they keep rodent numbers down.

Are you serious? Have you ever been out bush? As Jord said, what do you think they eat? They kill MASSIVE amounts of native wildlife every year, to the tune of at least 1,000,000,000 (yep, that's a BILLION) animals - and that's a conservative estimate by Hal Cogger I believe! In reality it's probably closer to six billion. If you put it this way, there is an estimate 18 million feral cats in Australia (this doesn't include free range domestic cats). If they eat on average 1 native animal per day for a year, that's 6.57 billion native animals. When you consider a single cat shot north of Roxby Downs had over 25 native animals in it's stomach that were freshly caught and killed that morning, the number could actually be about 165 billion native animals.

And you're trying to say they don't kill a lot of native wildlife?

The cats around here arent feral, they have collars, the neighbours must think that their property extends up and down the street and so their cats should be allowed to wander.

You need to redefine what feral means SlothHead - if it's outside without supervision by its owner, it's feral. They obviously don't care about their pet OR the animals it kills and harms, so why should you? Catch it, euthanise it humanely and they probably won't even notice it's gone for a week.

Good for you, it wouldn't have been so lucky if I had trapped it though.
Sorry but to those who say my wonderful little pussycat wouldn't hurt anything you are kidding yourself. They are destructive killing machines and if outside the owners property are fair game.

Some people don't let there cat inside. once we had a nabour that didn't let there cat inside and it came and ate our cats food.
we stoped feeding it and it stoped coming.
you can't keep a young cat out you could need very high fences and no trees.
and anyway there not like dogs.

they dig a hole and **** in it then burry it so you ndon't walk in it.
they don't attack humans if tthere domestic.
they keep rodent numbers down.

Willia6, i think you should look more closely at your cat. Even the most tame cat enjoys a good live snack occasionally. I had cats for years when I was younger, and have lost count of the number of specimens left on my doorstep: skinks, all sorts of furry critters, even juvi eastern browns when we were on the farm. When we had cats, our yard was basically devoid of wildlife. Since our cat passed on, our yard has heaps more wildlife (We have a dog that successfully keeps the neighbours cats out). We even have bluetongues taking up residence!

By the way, buried crap is no fun at all when you are doing the gardening, but i spose being a young one you haven't discovered that pleasure yet ;)

We are now a cat free household and loving it :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back