acidic levels

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HairyBob

Reaction score
i was just going to pick up my turtle and i brought a sample of water along with me. Good thing i did because they checked it and found out the acidity levels were too high or something and told me to wait 1 week until the filter does its job. Any ideas if u can speed this process up?

Dunno man i set up my tank like a week advanced before we got it. Any1 else got any ideas?

letting the filter run for a wwek wont change the water shem. Either get additives to bump up the ph or use de chlorinated tap water.

buy a whole heap of cheap fish (goldfish or whatever) and they will most likely die, but will speed up the nitrogen cycle. though thats what you do when you set up a tropical tank, so turtles might be different.

Someone please correct me if im wrong ( as this is going out of my depth) but you used to be able to buy these tablet things to put in your fishtank to balance your PH and Acidity levels called ?Neutraliser Blocks? and they came in the shape of the letter N. Dont know if these could be harmfull to turtles etc so take this with a grain of salt :D

What are you trying to achieve ?? do you want to stabilize the PH or mature the filter ?
(filters take about 1 month to fully mature !!)

buy a whole heap of cheap fish (goldfish or whatever) and they will most likely die, but will speed up the nitrogen cycle. though thats what you do when you set up a tropical tank, so turtles might be different.

Thats just a waste of fish ! , just put fish food in the tank & leave it to rot....same result.

The dude at the shop said The acidic levels were way too high in the water after i had it tested and would destroy the turtles shell..All he told me after was to keep the filter running for a week.

Would just using tank water be easier -_-

Buy yourself some co**** shell grit and put it in the tank, or filtre if you have a gravel type filtre.
The acid water disolves the shell grit, releasing lime, which will bring your pH up to nuetral.
At nuetral pH the shell grit will stop breaking down, but it will start again if the water becomes acid again! This is called a 'buffer'.

How much would i have to put in there?
And would the water become acidic after a period of time again?

Like hornets said, running the tank for another week wont have much affect on the PH, i'd be inclined to find out why the PH is so low, then like shlanger said put something in there (like a rock or gravel) to buffer the PH back up, I dont think it will set it at neutral though! it might go higher than 7.0. as it will still gradually disolve (just at a much slower rate) But you'll be doing regular water changes anyway (i hope!...lol).
Whats the PH of your tap water ? (might be an idea to buy a test kit)

Last edited:
I already dished up to 700 bucks setting this all up and i got no more money for a PH kit. I checked two places and both were 100 dollars.

I managed to find some shell grit in my garage that i give to my cockatiels, would this be decent to use and how long would it take to break down

How long has the tank been running?
When was the last water change?
What substrate and interior decor is in there?
Also what area are you at and whats the water like straight from your tap?

How long has the tank been running?
When was the last water change?
What substrate and interior decor is in there?
Also what area are you at and whats the water like straight from your tap?

I just set this tank up yesterday and used the correct amount of Chlorine,ph stuff for the water as indicated on the bottle

I live in suburban brisbane area

What test kits have you been looking at ? A PH test kit here is about £7.......($15ish)
You could use PH-up, but it also depends on the GH, by that i mean how hard your water is (disolved mineral content) water with low GH is hard to stablize, dont know about the shell grit, ive never used it to sort PH levels, someone else might know on that.

Your local waterboard should have a website that displays a list of parameters at which your drinking water is. Try searching for this as it will help immensely.

We will need to know what substrate and decore is in the tank as something is dropping your PH and hardness. Once we know what it is we can help you to eliminate the problem.

What is this chlorine, PH stuff you used?

know a site where i can find this information for brisbane? googling now but unsure what is what

The stuff i used for the water is called :: Prime by seachem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back