Why heat with lights??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ravensgait

Reaction score
This is something I've wondered about for a long time but the recent thread about the snake getting into the light cover and getting burned prompted me to ask. Why do so many use lights to heat their cages with??

That is something I have asked for many years. I still have one bank of cages that uses low wattage bulbs but in everything else I use heat mats, cords or heat panels and low voltage downlights for lighting.

I tend to think it's because it's cheap and easy ;)

Can't beat low wattage cord these days.... but such products were a bit slower getting over here than the rest of the world, rack systems are really just starting to take off now, and I'm sure in a few years all will be different.

Last edited:
I've got globes that have been running for over a year on a Microclimate Dimming Stat.

I do feel that the physiology of reptiles is more amenable to absorbing heat from above, for large species I would be inclined to use both to provide supplemental heating. For small terrestrial species such as Anteresia I think floor heating is enough. Red globes are pervasive in Australian reptile keeping because they are available everywhere and easy to get your hands on, heat panels are difficult to get in Australia and I think this is the main reason for them not being frequently used.

They are cheap and easily sourced plus they light the cage for you as well.

Try heating large enclosures down south with cord and matts and you don't get very far.

As long as the animal's got sufficient heat & isn't in danger of burning itself , I don't see what it matters .
Well guarded ceramics work well for me .

i am sure that if i had no eyelids to close like snakes then i wouldnt appreciate a nice bright bulb flashing on and off 24hrs a day

Thats why red globes are used, snakes don't seem to see the red light.

i have seen other colours such as blue used, do they actually not see the red light or does it just not bother them - just wondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back