Best heat lamp

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveB

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Gday people, just finishing my diamond pythons house and confused as to which is best for top heat. I have a heat pad on floor and putting uvb tube in top with well not sure yet but some heat lamp. His house is about 1300mm high and bought a ceramic bulb and cage but keep reading ceramic is crap and wish to go with what's best, infra-red or basking light and then there's the question of thermostat and cage. Thermostat on a non light heat emitters is simple but how do regulate a light heat bulb without it going on and off all the time and as I bought the ceramic I got a cage and thermostat so do you need cage for basking light. If any experience herpers could help it would be much appreciated, thanks

https://www.mitre10.com.au/mirabella-halogen-r80-reflector-globes-40567
might need higher or lower wattage depending on needs.
Thermostat on a non light heat emitters is simple but how do regulate a light heat bulb without it going on and off all the time

you can either use a dimming thermostat (makes the globe run at a % of full power to reach temps) or a thermostat with a "DV" where it turns off at x and turns back on at x (say off at 33, on at 31)

I got a cage and thermostat so do you need cage for basking light
its recommended

Thanks the thermostat I have is a Micro climate oled dimmer, so that will be ok for light, plan on putting a shelf under light and put cage around light. How far you reckon shelf should go below light and is bulb you recommend will fit ceramic socket

Attachments

• 20230730_131647.jpg
    20230730_131647.jpg
    965.8 KB · Views: 0
As to your question .YES you need a cage around any lamp to prevent burns . But because your enclosure is so tall you might need to install a couple of heat lamps or CHE's on the the sides with cages obviously.A heat mat on the floor is a waste of time My son has a diamond in a 4x4x2 (120x120x60) with a 75W plus 10UVB and she basks on the shelf mostly but spends a lot of time on the floor. The 8 foot coastal has the same size with 2x60W in summer but lately has 100W plus 60W.

As to your question .YES you need a cage around any lamp to prevent burns . But because your enclosure is so tall you might need to install a couple of heat lamps or CHE's on the the sides with cages obviously.A heat mat on the floor is a waste of time My son has a diamond in a 4x4x2 (120x120x60) with a 75W plus 10UVB and she basks on the shelf mostly but spends a lot of time on the floor. The 8 foot coastal has the same size with 2x60W in summer but lately has 100W plus 60W.
Thanks for reply, yep it's tall but putting shelves at various heights one under lamp for basking and others will be ambient temps. Heat mat on floor is for warn hide which he likes after eating or in shed he will have two hides one warm one ambient

Another concern I have is where to put thermostat. With a heater like ceramic bulb it easy as it heats the air but basking light doesn't heat the air, it heats what it shines on so if thermostat goes on shelf it won't work when python basks on shelf and laying on top of it and he'll get burned possibly so where does thermostat go with basking lights

Thanks for reply, yep it's tall but putting shelves at various heights one under lamp for basking and others will be ambient temps. Heat mat on floor is for warn hide which he likes after eating or in shed he will have two hides one warm one ambient
Hi Steve, does the heat mat have a thermostat too? I've seen nasty belly burns with unregulated heat mats.
I tend to agree with @dragonlover1
My diamond spends most of his time off the floor, even after eating. He'll only go there to cool down.
I'm sure you'll work out what's best for your diamond... They don't always do what the books say they should!

Hi Steve, does the heat mat have a thermostat too? I've seen nasty belly burns with unregulated heat mats.
My diamond spends most of his time off the floor, even after eating. He'll only go there to cool down.
I'm sure you'll work out what's best for your diamond... They don't always do what the books say they should!
Yes of course thanks for concern but wouldn't run any heating without thermostat

29 Celsius his heat mat being a cooler climate python, after eating he goes straight to it

you can either use a dimming thermostat (makes the globe run at a % of full power to reach temps) or a thermostat with a "DV" where it turns off at x and turns back on at x (say off at 33, on at 31)

its recommended
Gday clicked on the link and got delivered and they sent me pearl instead of clear should I change or pearl ok

its recommended

its recommended
Also mate how far is best below bulb for basking, 40cmm, 50cm??? For shelf

its recommended
Gday one more question height of light from basking point 40cmm 50cm????

Attachments

• 20230805_153111.jpg
    20230805_153111.jpg
    973.6 KB · Views: 0
All you need for heat is a caged globe up high above a basking shelf about 20cm below the globe. The rest of the enclosure at ambient. As to what type of globe it doesn’t really matter but I prefer lower wattage as to only heat the basking shelf.

Back