HELP N.levis.occidentialis weak and cant walk

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alex_c

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hi guys i just checked on my knobtails and my female had lost alot of weight then i discovered eggs in the sand so just put it down to that and kept feeding her up she hasnt gained any weight though,now this morning she is weak and cant stand up or walk what should i do? any recomendations of a vet who is competent in treating geckos in melbourne?

thanks

Sorry mate i dont know what you should do but you should try and call up some vets that treat reptiles ASAP.

yeah she gets them every second or third feed. ive got some water into her and a cricket with a syringe.the male is perfectly healthy but the females just gone downhill. they live in the same enclosure and eat the exact same food.

taking her and the male to local herp vet at 2 oclock shes picked up a little bit since i got some food and water into her so hopefully she will come good.

I'm not too sure either but perhaps remove the male to releave any stress he may be putting on her. What are the temps like in the enclosure?

Have you got any photos of the female?

What did the vet say?

I'm not too sure either but perhaps remove the male to releave any stress he may be putting on her. What are the temps like in the enclosure?

Have you got any photos of the female?

What did the vet say?

yeah ive separated her and put her in a click clack inside an empty tank so it should sit at about 28-30 in that. the vet just said it was likely to be an infection from the egg laying process and just gave her an injection with some anti biotics and also gave me some to inject into a cricket and then feed her that cricket. and then she mixed up some lukewarm water with some minerals and glucose in it and injected quite a large amount of that into her and just said to keep her warm so she can process it and that i should notice an improvement in 2to 5days. so hopefully she will come good.:)

Good luck with your occie, could you post some pics please?

she improved a lot after the fluids but unfortunately died last night my guess is blood poisoning from an infection in the reproductive system and it was too late for the antibiotics to fight it ,as i have experienced it in both my current dogs and the geckos symptoms were very similar. both dogs required emergency hystorectomies when they had this problem and experienced a rapid loss in condition the first one who got it lost about 5kg or more in a couple of days.then when my staffy got it her uterus burst and gave her a pretty bad case of blood poisoning. so really its a pretty nasty illness :(

Sorry to hear that. Ive heard of dogs with pyometra but never herps. I would have thought that it was more major calcium deficiency.

Sorry to hear that. Ive heard of dogs with pyometra but never herps. I would have thought that it was more major calcium deficiency.
yeah it may have been a calcium deficiency bought on by the egg laying.the male is perfectly healthy and is fed exactly the same diet and housed in the same enclosure.its just strange that she was still eating happily but wasnt gaining condition after she had laid which was odd.and the vet actually said it was a possible infection when i took her in on saturday and gave her a 10 day course of anti biotics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back