Contaminated pet meat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bundybear

Reaction score
went and got some frozen chicken necks from the local pet shop last sunday, defrosted them in the fridge during the day and fed them to the bull terrier and daughters jack russell on sunday night. No disticnt odur of contamination was present on the chicken necks when i fed the dogs.
noticed when i left for work on monday morning that they both looked a bit crook and were unusaully quiet, didn't give it too much further thought as they're both pretty hardy dogs.....especially the bully.
got home on monday arvo and found the bully still looking the same but no worse.
the poor jack russell however was literally at deaths door.
she was extreamly bloated, her breathing was quite laboured and shallow and was lying next to regurgitated half digested chicken wings that absoutly reaked of rotten meat......to the point i was dry reaching.
I rushed her to the vet who took xrays of her which revealed an unbelievable amount of gas in her abdomen, in his own words "the very worst I have ever seen".
He later diagnosed her condition as "Salomonellosis or Clostridial infection from ingestion"
Luckily, she responded to treatment and did not require surgery.
After spending 3 days at the vet and $575:evil: she was well enough to come home on antibiotics.
The bully was fine by the tuesday.
As the chicken necks were her last meal and her previous meal was on the saturday morning (besides a bit of dry food throu the day), the vet and myself both concluded that the chicken necks could be the only cause of the illness.
So i called the pet shop on the Tuesday morning and explained what had occured.
He flat out denied he had any liability and was going to contact his solicitor.........not the kind of reponse i was looking for! especially if he had nothing to hide!
After expaining i had a vets report to support the claim he agrred to meet with me to discuss the issue.
Went down there this morning as planned, surprise surprise the owner is not there leaving his poor assistants to deal with me. I gave them a copy of the report and bill and asked for the owner to call me.
He did, but again refused to admit any liability and flat out refused to pay the bill. He even had the gaul to tell me i was just trying to scam money out of him!!

So now the fun begins!!...............................:evil::lol::lol:

Some people are just ****ers! I only give my dogs dry food and when they do get chicken necks I get them fresh from woolies! Mental note not to buy pre packed foods

see this is why you should feed a good quality dog food rather then chicken necks and wings.

Chase this all the way up, if you have to. Imagine if it had gone to a snake, rather than a dog? Something that's so much harder to diagnose. Hope your jack russell gets well.

poor things! hope your pups are feeling better now and the bugger of a store owner pays up!

I don't think you need an "I told you so", so all I shall say is, good luck in your endeavours, and I hope he gets his just desserts!!!!!!!!

see this is why you should feed a good quality dog food rather then chicken necks and wings.

Or atleast source chicken products from quality butchers.

Gosh that's not pleasant. Lucky your animals are all ok though. :)

Trust a bull terrier to be all right with it. :D

Last edited:
been doing a bit of research on pet food standards and also from my knowledge of the health acts from the days working the butcher shops.......i think this guy might just get his just deserts!
it also just so happens that the health inspector for this district lives around the corner from me and shops at the same butcher i now do.......yup he's screwed.
and before anyone points out it is only sold as pet food and the standards do not apply............
find out a little more about the laws and regs then gate back to me.;)
for instance, any food items (for pet or human consumption) that is handled by humans falls under the relvant health acts., similar to that of which apply to places like butcher shops and reasturants.
then there is the aust. standards for pet food (production as well as handling).....the PFIAA codes of practice......the CSIRO codes of practice....shall i go on?

Thats no good bundybear glad to hear your dogs are ok.I also feed my dogs chicken necks.Whats so wrong with necks and wings? Surely its better than canned food?

good luck mate. sue the hell out of them

i get wings for $2.99 kg near me. that is for human consumption (butcher) how much did you pay your pet shop?

Poor dogs.... glad to hear they pulled through though.
Screw that , well, 'coward' for all he's worth!!!!! :evil:
I only feed my dog dry food and when he does get wet food it's always 'proper' food like steak scraps or mince I cook up in a thick gravy (that's his favourite).
Good luck nailing that guy.

i feed my dogs R.A.W Biologically Appropriate Raw food (barf) made by Doctor Billinghurst, no crap in this ,no additives to make shelf life longer. Sorry for your dogs mate must of been worried sick for them good luck

Did you get any form of receipt when purchasing the chicken necks etc?
Just curious how you are going to prove the meat came from his shop as now he has been warned (with the phone call) and might have the rest of the shop cleaned up by the time the health inspector gets there??

good luck mate. sue the hell out of them
bugger that.....too expensive
negative word of mouth is enough, word travels pretty quick around the hawkesbury district.

i get wings for $2.99 kg near me. that is for human consumption (butcher) how much did you pay your pet shop?
$1.90

Did you get any form of receipt when purchasing the chicken necks etc?
Just curious how you are going to prove the meat came from his shop as now he has been warned (with the phone call) and might have the rest of the shop cleaned up by the time the health inspector gets there??
sure did and still got it.
with what i witnessed in his shop today (and had i'd seen this prior i would not of brought anything there) was shocking.
lets just say it'll take him a bit longer than a few days to get his act together to pass any inspection.

poor puppies just imagine if you feed the necks to your snakes like some people do on this site.
well i wouldn't feed the snake ckicken necks anyway, but yeah it would of been pretty bad, don't think theyd survive that considering it knocked the bull terrier around a bit.

thanks for all the kind words.......let you know how i go.

sure did and still got it.
with what i witnessed in his shop today (and had i'd seen this prior i would not of brought anything there) was shocking.
lets just say it'll take him a bit longer than a few days to get his act together to pass any inspection..

That's good hang on to it.
Sounds pretty dodgey.
Maybe let the dogs sort him out? :)

im glad they are okay, its horrible to see and animal you love sick. I feed my dogs science diet dry(no tinned food what so ever) and bones bought from woolies because to save an extra couple of $$$$ and risk sickness to a family member is to heart breaking. In all the top quality dry foods they dont need any other food(except the odd bone for their teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back