Another Customs Seizure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmmmm very interesting seems to be a few greens trying to get through

that albino looks very nice indeed glad to see they were found though

Hmm makes me wonder, with all the ones being caught lately for every one they catch how many others slip through.

I hate the fact that a poor animal has to be put to sleep due to HUMAN interference!! bet the people who did this are never caught and even if they are will cop a ****full sentance!!. What beautiful snakes!!

Now that is a really sad story :cry: look at those little eyes of the baby GTP. How can they look at those eyes with intent of destroying the young life. I know they have to protect Australia's animals and they are doing the the right thing euthanasing them. If anyone is to blame for the loss of such gorgeous animals, its those who are involved in getting them here.
20080923-snake1.jpg

yes very true and not to start another thread about the problems with overseas reptiles but what would happen if that GTP did by chance have a disease that then wipped out majority of our already endangered stocks of GTP's

its not the best thing to say but better to be safe than sorry in my opinion

If anyone is to blame for the loss of such gorgeous animals, its those who are involved in getting them here.

how true that is....

and its also the fault of the people that knowingly buy smuggled fauna when smugglers succeed in getting a shipment in...

re Another

Most greens in captivity within australia are foreign,they had to get here somehow,what do the authorities expect when they ban legal import and export,wont be the last ones seized theyll just keep coming. :)

when you can buy them for as little as $400 overseas and have them posted here with only a small chance of being caught. if you are caught the fine is only a couple of thousand. any wonder these people take the risk when they can make $50, 000 from 1 clutch.

that morph retic still blows me away, they look wicked. Pity it had to die.

anyone know anything about the other customs problem earlier in the week regarding the fella's smuggling a lizard out of WA?

Good on Customs. 2 busts in a week. They are doing a great job. It is shameful however that the guilty persons involved rarely are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. (In a previous case a $3,000 fine for smuggeling 2 GTPs potentially worth 20 times that on a license) In both articles it states a Maximum Penalty of 100 grand and/or 10 years in the slammer.

I made this comment on another forum, but I may as well throw it up here to. That chondro is a juvenile Merauke, a locality that is alomst identacle to the Iron Range locality. No doubt this person was trying to import that chondro and pass it off as a pure Aussie GTP. Talk about going for the gold!

if exotics were legalized and controlled simillarly to australian species then the problem that we are experiencing wouldnt be nearly as bad. im not sitting here saying u cant stop people smoking pot so you might as well legalize it, im simply saying that people will continue to keep/breed these species, the most sensible thing would be to regulate it and allow people to do so in a controlled way. there are some truly amazing species that come from abroad and it seems silly that through lak of man power to regulate there quarentine etc etc that we cannot experience these species here (legally). there are many many many people that keep exotics here in australia and 99.9% arent drug dealers or money sucking scum they are simply enthusiasts simillar to everyone else who simply enjoy the fruits from other countries.

ill most definately be philosophically raped for my views however i believe everyone is entilted to there opinion, i most definatley respect those people who belive that there is no place for these species in our wonderful country.

regards

if exotics were legalized and controlled simillarly to australian species then the problem that we are experiencing wouldnt be nearly as bad. im not sitting here saying u cant stop people smoking pot so you might as well legalize it, im simply saying that people will continue to keep/breed these species, the most sensible thing would be to regulate it and allow people to do so in a controlled way. there are some truly amazing species that come from abroad and it seems silly that through lak of man power to regulate there quarentine etc etc that we cannot experience these species here (legally). there are many many many people that keep exotics here in australia and 99.9% arent drug dealers or money sucking scum they are simply enthusiasts simillar to everyone else who simply enjoy the fruits from other countries.

ill most definately be philosophically raped for my views however i believe everyone is entilted to there opinion, i most definatley respect those people who belive that there is no place for these species in our wonderful country.

regards

It's all well to just look at the cool aspect of having something different to keep and thinking it is all so easy to just change the way things are run to let them in and everything will be perfect. Personally i'd rather not have the Everglades v2.0 in Australia.

if exotics were legalized and controlled simillarly to australian species then the problem that we are experiencing wouldnt be nearly as bad

Personally I don't think the authorities can [or do] control properly and successfully the fauna we already have in our country as it is... without bringing more potenntial problems into the equation.

many many people that keep exotics here in australia and 99.9% arent drug dealers or money sucking scum

And you base this statement on what? have you done a survey of these illegal keepers? :lol: do you know several keepers of exotics that you base this assumption on?

There is a word that does describe these people though... and thats criminals. They are breaking the law because "they don't like it" or "think the're right" in their opinions and justify breaking the law with their flawed logic. Whatever reason they "justify to themselves" what there doing is ok, the fact remains they are breaking the law by keeping exotics illegally in this country. Plain and simple.

I also think that people that break the laws of our country with such ease are probably more prone to "break the law" in other ways too.. Such as drug taking, selling drugs etc and other illegal activities these "special individuals" don't think should apply to them.You only have to have a look at the exotic reptile busts in this country and see how many of them also included drug seizures and / or illegal firearm offences.

I think its all very well to waffle on about "the wonderous and beautiful exotic species overseas" etc etc Sure the world has some amazing animals. But I think we should be looking after our our native animals in their wild habitats first and foremost before we cater to the whims of a few hobbyists that want something different they aren't allowed to have...

It's all well to just look at the cool aspect of having something different to keep and thinking it is all so easy to just change the way things are run to let them in and everything will be perfect. Personally i'd rather not have the Everglades v2.0 in Australia.
I agree

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back