Bull Terrier !!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs I

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
OK long story short, my dad told me saturday night that he has always wanted a bull terrier as a member of the family.

He has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer (for the 2nd time) and mum is fighting a battle with breast cancer.

He was telling me he would like to get one so that which ever one of them is left behind would have some company, then went on to say that it would have to be socialized with my dog (a kelpie) a lot so if anything ever happened to both of them the dog would have somewhere to go, where it knew and was happy.

So i thought i might research how much they are etc and try find one for him and buy it as a 'going through treatment' gift (i know its wanted so its not going to end up an unwanted gift) i nearly fainted at the price $1000 !!

I dont want to get them a show dog just a lap dog !!

Will keep on my search, just had to have a rant....

Any way if you have a bully why not post some pics to temp me into spending $1000 on my dad !! Would spend the world on my dad if i had it to spend !!

Mrs I

http://midnightserval.darkbb.com/medium-breeds-f31/bull-terrier-t1.htm

http://midnightserval.darkbb.com/medium-breeds-f31/tony-the-bt-going-fishing-t29.htm

My piks ar on there, He is a purebred bull terrier, although he is a 'dud' in a sense where he doesnt quite look right, plus the floppy ears are a bad fault. He cos me $300 or so. Bought him for my partner.
Dumbest breed ive ever encountered. If they want something, they are taking it, whether theres a fence in the road or reguardless if theyre gonna get run over. Determined.
That can be a fault however. BT's dont necassarily start the fight, but they will always finish it.

How cute, so i need to find a 'dud' for him, lol...

Wanted one 'dud' !!

Usually the ones that arent quite right have the best personalities.

My advice is DO YOUR RESEARCH before you make a purchase as they are a pit breed.

Dont let the price of the dogs dictate where you buy it as you may come unstuck with a dominant powerful dog that you cant handle or control.
While you will pay more from a breeder, it is probably the smarter thing to do as in most situations you can interact with both the Sire and the Dam which will give you a good understanding of the nature of both parents before bringing home a puppy.
MOST registered breeders of pit breed dogs, breed their pups with temperament in mind, where as a back yard breeder generally doesnt have the range of stud dogs to choose from which can make it more difficult to breed out un wanted aggression.
But in saying that i own 2 Amstaffs(pics can be seen in my profile albums) that are also a pit breed and they are VERY protective but dont have an aggressive bone in their body.

If you intend on getting one after looking around ...if you get a male especially if its just a pet companion GET HIM DE KNACKERD ....from as early as you can ...We had one ,a male pure white (watch for skin cancers)he was a great dog with at the time 2 kids ,they were very young too ,and could do anything to him,he laid there like a big lump of a meat head ,he was very loveable BUT in the end ,we sadly had to pass him on as he was very destructive ,no matter what we did or gave him ,as midnight said ,if they are determined that is what they want they do it ...This dog ate wood ,so he chewed the fences ,he chewed the side of the house and the damage was unreal from just one dog (we were in a rental too)
we gave him the biggest thickest bones we could buy ,but to no avail he wanted WOOD
so in the end we advertised and a bloke down the road who had this type of breed all of his life ,he adopted him ..so it was happy all round ..

Thanks for the information Troy.

Thanks to Mr Rudd i will be keeping my bonus money and putting it towards a dog for my dad from a breeder.

After all my dad has done for me, its the least i can do for him.

I've got a bully. I paid $1000 for him from mhoalmin (spelling) kennels. I'd definitely recommend spending the extra cash and buying from a registered breeder. Not just for the genetic peace of mind but they, well mine anyway, came toilet trained at 8 weeks old! But my boys ears don't stand up either... which is annoying.

They are a very affectionate dog, mine can't stand to not be around people. They really do need alot of human attention. I haven't had my boy cut and don't plan on it, when they are cut and early they don't develop the big boofy head and broad shoulders which is what i like about them. My boy hasn't attacked another dog but any other male pit type dog that comes to our yard or that he visits (on neutral ground he's fine with anything) he will try and dominate them, but as soon as one of them submits they play and get along just fine.

They are a very very strong dog, in both will power and strength. I do love the breed but i wouldn't recommend one for cancer patients. I recon you should look at getting a miniature bully, look exactly the same except generally only weigh 10kg or so (as apposed to 30-35kg).

Oh and he has already had a cancer at 12 months old. Something you need to keep in mind with this breed.

IMG_7800.jpg

andcubesandbear.jpg

IMG_7809.jpg

DSC07852.jpg

Thanks gordo, my parents last dog was a Bull Mastiff at 76kgs !! Lol.

I have also been looking into the minature versions.

Your dog is very cute, and yes i have also read and know about the cancers they can suffer from, if something was to happen to my parents then i would take over responsibility.

beautiful dog gordo!

Cheers Matt he is awesome!

Thanks gordo, my parents last dog was a Bull Mastiff at 76kgs !! Lol.

I have also been looking into the minature versions.

Your dog is very cute, and yes i have also read and know about the cancers they can suffer from, if something was to happen to my parents then i would take over responsibility.

Just keep in mind that the one tumor cost me nearly as much as he did and it was all before he was a year old. If you get one go for a darker colour.

Ok, now my mission will be a bit harder, after a few questions out of the blue in general conversation to my dad he wants a normal size bull terrier male pup that is brindle or brindle/white !!

Off to do more searching.....

Picked up this little guy for my parents today, he is so cute !

His name is Brut' after Brut Champagne, it was either that or Bubbles !!

Peeing all over their floor but they love him and he has already in 1 day learnt were his 'place' is which is a woolen rug and if you say 'place' he will go and sit on it and wait for a treat, so they shouldnt have too much trouble in training this little guy.

Attachments

• DSCF3875.jpg
    DSCF3875.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 46
Couple more

Attachments

• DSCF3876.jpg
    DSCF3876.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF3877.jpg
    DSCF3877.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 45