Pythons and Basking

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

auspython

Reaction score
Hey all just wanting to know do pythons actually need a basking Spot? What i mean is that i have a MD and the basking spot is set to 33 degrees, but would it matter if i just warmed the whole warm side up to that temp instead of just having the basking site at 33 and just leave the cool side ambient temp. I was just wondering because i have heard that pythons dont acctually need a basking lamp/site they just need an area of that temp (air temp) thay dont actually need a concerntrated beem from a baking globe. What are your opinions on this? :D :D

i personally think (may be totally wrong) as long as you have a warm side of the enclosure with places that the snake can get the recommended or preffered temperature even if it is a lage area, and somewere they can escape the heat. it is fine, think about it in the wild the sun isnt concentrated in one little spot.

well auspython, i hav a hot end set at 31 and a cool end of approx 23 (no basking site at all) but mine is only 3 months old so there might be a difference between the ages but my boy seems to be going fine8)

so basically you need a hot side of about 31 and a cool side of about 24 to 28.cheers

any other opinions on the topic??? thanks for the replies so far

I keep my MD with a 100W or 150W Tight Beam or Halogen Neodymum bulb in one corner.
This provides a 34o or so hot spot on the branches and about 31o air temp.
She's moves around to self regulate, the tank is large enough to provide a 24o cool end.
I could take a picture: right now she's right under the bulb and probably cooking slowly at 35o +, but she ate last night so she might need a bit of a heat booster

They're smart animals don't worry. Your snake will self regulate. The key is to provide them with a gradient. If it's too hot, she won't go there...

Good luck

Cheers

As long as you have a HOT spot of 31-34 and a cool end of ambient temperature it is fine

It is much easier to just maintain a gradient in temp with just a hot spot IMO I run all my enclosures like this

See in pics how they only have a hot spot from a tiny 25 watt bulb in a box with a big piece of bored on top, This works a treat as they can get away when needed. The rest of the enclosure is at room temp

And a pic of one of my bank enclosure with this set up too

Attachments

• IMG_4671.jpg
    IMG_4671.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4674.jpg
    IMG_4674.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4675.jpg
    IMG_4675.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_4678.jpg