Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencesnakes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 3 year old spotted python who has been having a 100w basking light on and off with a timer. The globe blows within the 3 month range.

I was wondering if people have had success with a globe from bunnings on timer and if so, what bulb?

He’s in a 60x90cm enclosure and has his hammock directly under the lamp (which is on top of the mesh in a dome) around 8-10 inches away.

Would I need a thermostat for a bunnings Phillips 75-100w flood light for example? Or is a timer and themometer sufficient? As I don’t want him to have the light on 24/7 and flicking on/off with temp changes.

Quite a noob with thermostats and temps.

I have our albino carpet on a dimming ceramic globe w thermostat currently and was going to add a heat rock on timer, should the heat rock have a separate thermostat on it also?

Separately has anyone got a recommendation for a good thermostat that can control two heating sources from the one? (Not one heat and one timer)

Unfortunately you can no longer buy Philips globes. We are all researching replacements that don't have pet shop prices.
I keep a pair of 6/7 YO spotted in a 90x60x60 with a 40W and a 5UV with timers,no thermo's (I only have a thermo on my incubator) plus there is a flat rock with a heat cable underneath used in winter.
I see you have heat lamp on top of mesh, that means you have a glass tank. These are highly inefficient as glass doesn't hold heat and as heat rises it goes up through the mesh. You live in cairns and use a 100W lamp so there's your proof. You would be much better off with wooden enclosures. If you need to use the glass, I would suggest getting a heat mat under the glass floor. DO NOT buy a heat rock, these are notoriously unreliable and have burnt many reptiles when they fail.

Back