pet shops

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cadwallader

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys any one sold fish to pet shops i have got a school of chiclids and got 14 babies last week and just pulled another with her mouth full of eggs and have no room for the long term.
if they sell them for $20 what will they buy them for?
cheers cad

You wont get much for them... best selling them privately or giving them away

If they sell them for $20 they will give you $5-$6each

If they do take them, they will want then to be around 3-5cm and will only give you a dollar each as the wholesale price of fish is low. Might get a better deal if you swap for other fish.

Depends what type of cichlid they are. If they are convicts, kribensis or ones like that, chances are the pet store won't even take them.

When I had my pet store I didn't put a percentage mark up on mine. Goldfish if I paid 70cents for them I sold them $3 each or 5 for $10. The likes of oranda's, pearls, bubble eyes, I paid $6 sold for $10. It depends on the species, some are easy sellers so can put 3x mark up on them, others will sit and grow big and won't let you use the tank for anything else so I use to price them to sell. Even my full grown Oscars - I sold for $50 but that is just me and now my pet shop is non-existance so obviously i went wrong somewhere. But I had a goal to profit on my products and not so much on the animals but something backfired on me. If a business doesn't cover their costs and make profit above the costs, you go down hill.

Depends what type of cichlid they are. If they are convicts, kribensis or ones like that, chances are the pet store won't even take them.

When I had my pet store I didn't put a percentage mark up on mine. Goldfish if I paid 70cents for them I sold them $3 each or 5 for $10. The likes of oranda's, pearls, bubble eyes, I paid $6 sold for $10. It depends on the species, some are easy sellers so can put 3x mark up on them, others will sit and grow big and won't let you use the tank for anything else so I use to price them to sell. Even my full grown Oscars - I sold for $50 but that is just me and now my pet shop is non-existance so obviously i went wrong somewhere. But I had a goal to profit on my products and not so much on the animals but something backfired on me. If a business doesn't cover their costs and make profit above the costs, you go down hill.

Kathy, I am sure there is less money to be lost breeding snakes rather than running a pet shop!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back