save steves place

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please save the cows, they fart and warm our planet.

it is being promoted as "steve's" and it has the irwin name all over it so you can hardly remove them from comment. The land was more or less taken from the people and given to the irwins in the first place so terri can spend some of her millions to save it

You can take the irwin name out of it and the money.
what are you left with? a piece of land that could, 1) be mined and kill off wildlife OR 2) sign a petiton to save it and let wildlife live there peacefully.
What would you pick?

NOW if you dont like this thread or disagree dont write anything and go on with your life;)
thanks

My reasoning for not signing has little to nothing to do with Irwin name.
The whole situation is grossly beaten up... from what i can see, the
Irwin juggernaut is trying to pull at the usual heart strings...with out putting
forward any particularly worthwhile reason to prevent the mining...well..
besides the Irwin's having some kind of claim to it?
Their worried about what amounts to around 10% of the entire SIWR..?
Why? ... supposed rare flora/fauna, as they claim.
Meanwhile, they sit on their hands while endemic species in their backyard
risk extinction, and mines all over QLD are striping habitat.... doesn't add up.

Some the text from the petition:
The Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve (SIWR) is a wetland conservation property and a tribute to Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin.

The 135,000 ha property, in Queensland’s Cape York Peninsula, is home to a set of important spring fed wetlands which provide a critical water source to threatened habitat, provide permanent flow of water to the Wenlock River, and is home to rare and vulnerable plants and wildlife.

The Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve (SIWR) was acquired as part of the National Reserve System Programme for the purpose of nature conservation with the assistance of the Australian Government.
The Situation

The Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve (SIWR) is being threatened by strip mining. Cape Alumina Pty Ltd has lodged mining lease applications which include approximately 12,300 ha of the Reserve. Cape Alumina company documents indicate an intention to mine 50 plus million tons over a 10 year period commencing 2010. The greater part of this mine is on SIWR

The proposed area for mining on the Steve Irwin Wildlife Reserve contains the head waters of irreplaceable waterways and unique biodiversity which will not recover after mining operations are finished.

If that land isnt mined it will just be another chunk of land. So it is only important to people cos of the Irwin name.
If people want to save land, Ban cows from drinking from creeks etc. They destroy eveything they touch, but a creek supplies water to everything...

I think everyone on this forum should sign, just to save the reptiles JUST DO IT!!!

i'm with australis, catchy phrases like 'unique biodiversity' and 'rare and vulnerable plants and wildlife' are meaningless when they bought the parcel of land with no proper environmental assessment prior, just sound financial advice from recently gaoled assistant tax commissioner Nicholas Petroulias. would all you folk be signing the petition if Irwin's name was not attached, and i ask this because i am sure there are far more worthwhile petitions out there that you wouldn't or haven't signed.

i have not been persuaded that this land is valuable wilderness worth preserving, and i strongly doubt it is.

isnt that the land they (terri) wants to/are using as a cattle farm? :?
and australia zoos conservation is dead its now the bindi irwin show :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back