breeding woodies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptiledude1

Reaction score
Hi i am interested in breeding woodies can someone please run me through the process of doing soo.cheers dylan

Easy as pie and the smartest thing you'll ever do - I haven't paid for any lizard food since setting my colonies up.

Firstly, find a seller who will sell you woodies in bulk - WOODIESFORSALE is a member on this site, but I'm not sure whether s/he has any at the moment. Try a PM

Ask your supplier for a 'start up' colony, which is a mix of different ages. Then buy a 60L storage tub from Bunnings or the like.. Cut most of the lid out and replace with flyscreen (ventilation is VERY important). I have an inch of sand in the bottom of mine but you don't have to.. provide them with toilet rolls/egg cartons etc and feed them rat/mouse pellets, carrots, potatoes and almost any table scraps.. they will eat anything

I have two colonies and I alter which one I take from monthly so I don't overharvest one, but you don't have to do that.

Finally, buy some fluon (herpshop sells it, as do various members) and paint a band of it halfway up the walls of your container - this will stop the roaches climbing past it.

It's a really good idea to breed your own woodies, they breed like crazy and you can say goodbye to the days of paying $7.00 for a tub from the pet shop!

Let me know if you have any other questions

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me if the elusive WOODIESFORSALE is still an active user here?

If so, how do I get in contact? I've searched for their profile with no luck.

We're wanting to buy a breeding colony and hope they can help out.

Thanks,

Norbert

Hi PhilK, what lighting / heating do you use(if any)? , especially in the colder months???? Trying to breed mine up for the spring, but am at a loss re heating & whether 24 hrs/day. Have been using the new fanforced UV lights, but they seem too bright to use 24 hrs, & the temps here are 6-9 nighttime & will get colder .
Any ideas????:(

dont use any kind of light to heat woodies they like it dark. use a heat mat.
after experimenting for a few years i dont use any substrate in the bottom makes it easier to clean out. try and get hold of the large square egg cartons and stack them about 6 or 7 high.

I think woodiesforsale changed her username, its jemma something, ill check later im cooking dinner ! ;)

woodies for sale and the arcade woodies are both really good... i use woodies for sale though as you can get different sizes and she sends out her orders 4 times a week... woodies for sale (jemini woodies i think they are called) are back in stock now, i got some more on tuesday. she said she was out for ages, but now she has more, and they are always perfect. she does the breeding colonies too. as for breeding... put heaps of them in a tub, add egg cartons, keep kind of warm (the warmer they are, the quicker the breed, upto like 30 degrees) add food (orange especially) and you will be breeding woodies... there is really nothing too it at all.

yeh they love it. provides them with moisture too, so you dont need to put a waterbowl or anything in there that they drown in. it makes them breed like crazy aswell. i go through probably two oranges a week for my two tubs

all i can say is good luck, yes they are easy, but make sure you have the space for them, a room away from your draws... we still finding them in our draws and boxes lol

all i can say is good luck, yes they are easy, but make sure you have the space for them, a room away from your draws... we still finding them in our draws and boxes lol
:lol:, all thru the house!!
I've never used a heat mat, & if I've got one of those polyurethane (think that's what it's called - a foam box) is there a threat of it melting or burning? Do I have to put glass down under the heat mat?

I'm lucky. I'm going to breed them in a separate tub but they do breed in the bottom of my beardie tank (it's 1700x1600x800mm). I find baby woodies everytime i move rocks out of my way. And they love them so i'm thinking i'll just start breeding them properly. I don't do anything with the ones in the tank, they just started by themselves. They have the fresh food from the beardies which they eat of a night obviously and lots of rocks to hide in. I figure if they live in there then they can't be too hard.
I find them mostly in my bathroom/laundry when they get out of the tank. We've got them anyway so i'm not really fussed with more hanging around. The dogs normally find them and play with them (weird i know)

Jemmi Woodies is great. I bought a mixed pack from her and they are breeding like crazy. I have them in a large sistema tub sitting on top of my enclosure. The warmth has really got them going. Babies everywhere! I have to agree with the orange, they love it.

That is weird.. it's also weird you would dredge up a thread from one year ago to tell us you find woodies in your house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back